• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Eats at Home (Part 1)

Dejah

Dai Gah Jeah! LOL! :laugh:

The Duck lives on. :blink: Had leftover soup from the stew so I made wonton noodle soup. Should have been a 'light' dinner...if you call eating 7 wontons light!

367974907_60f339e689_o.jpg

Anyway, if anyone's still hungry, there's a dozen pork floss buns. Buns are sourdough hybrid/wholemeal/soya bean pulp(from making soya bean milk)/bread flour...can't say that easily with a mouth full of wontons. Half of them has the floss in them; the other half is slit, then spread with mayo, topped with floss...DD#2's preferred style.

367974914_cdecf71714_o.jpg

Passing on the wok chaan (wok spatula)....probably won't be cooking chinese the rest of the week.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

The Duck lives on.  :blink: Had leftover soup from the stew so I made wonton noodle soup. Should have been a 'light' dinner...if you call eating 7 wontons light!

Anyway, if anyone's still hungry, there's a dozen pork floss buns.

I am dying for a bowl of that soup right now! Tepee, I am so impressed by both your cooking and your photography.

Tks for the vote of confidence, Dai Gah Jeah, but Ben-Sook is right. I bought it. Yes, I used to make it myself, but, these days, I really don't have one hour to shred the meat and another hour to stand in front of the stove. However, fish is still doable...takes much less time, no pre-shredding needed. Ah Leung Gaw, the process is very simple...it's just time-consuming. Get some meaty part with a bit of fats. Boil it. Cut into big chunks. Shred with fingers. You want to pull nice and long shreds, so the floss looks nicer. Fine-shred it further to almost thread-thinness. Dry fry with sugar, pepper and 5-spice powder (edit: forgot salt). That simple. :smile:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

...  Get some meaty part with a bit of fats. Boil it. Cut into big chunks. Shred with fingers. You want to pull nice and long shreds, so the floss looks nicer. Fine-shred it further to almost thread-thinness. Dry fry with sugar, pepper and 5-spice powder. That simple.  :smile:

"Shred with fingers"... perhaps it helps if one has long fingernails. :wink:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Supper tonight:

Fresh lily bulb soup with pork bones because the air is so dry.

gallery_13838_3935_23069.jpg

Singapore rice noodles with shrimp. The curry to counteract the leun effects of the soup. :laugh:

gallery_13838_3935_36197.jpg

Beef meatballs dim sum style with ginger gai lan and a drizzle of oyster sauce.

gallery_13838_3935_48177.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Looking at the delicious pics of aznsailorboi's  braised pork belly made me develop a craving for siu yuk. This is a small piece of roasted pork belly cooked in my tabletop turbo convection oven.

gallery_26439_3934_393549.jpg

"SIU YUK......*drool" (the way homer says it to donuts) lol SHEETZ that looks gorgeous! the bubbly crackly skin looks perfect, i love the contrast of the hard crunchy skin and then soft melt in your mouth layers of fat and meat orgasmic :wub: hahaha oops is that censored :blink:

Auntie Tepee whats in your wonton filling? your wonton noodle soup makes me feel nostalgic of my childhood at my Tai Mah's (great grandma's) house, hers is very simple, just roughly chopped shrimp, garlic chives, salt, and white pepper.

im on a diet right now thats why i havnt been cooking much, but siu yuk is perfect for my atkins psshh i can eat that all day......i know its not healthy but i need to lose these 10 extra lbs i gained from the holidays, and my birthday, i porked up a bit. i can feel my pants getting a tad bit snug. :unsure: so i cant really take the wok chaan until next week ill pass for now :sad: I'm sure Ah Leung Goh, Auntie Dejah, Sheets, Peony, Xiao Ling Jieh, Habeas, and rest of the chinese eats bloggers can always whip up a fantastic dish at a whim's notice, after all we all have to eat something chinese at one point. hehe. :biggrin:

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

"SIU YUK......*drool" (the way homer says it to donuts) lol SHEETZ that looks gorgeous! the bubbly crackly skin looks perfect, i love the contrast of the hard crunchy skin and then soft melt in your mouth layers of fat and meat orgasmic :wub:  hahaha oops is that censored  :blink:

Sounds like your super "bo" soup is talking. :rolleyes:

Auntie Tepee whats in your wonton filling? your wonton noodle soup makes me feel nostalgic of my childhood at my Tai Mah's (great grandma's) house, hers is very simple, just roughly chopped shrimp, garlic chives, salt, and white pepper.

Sounds similar. Chopped shrimp, pork, spring onion, cloud fungus, fresh waterchestnut, soya sauce, salt, white pepper, rice wine, egg white and cornflour to bind.

Your diet shouldn't stop you from grabbing the wok chaan. Like you said, that siu yoke is perfect, and other meat dishes. Just avoid noodles, baos, rice. Been there done that.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

it takes one country folk to know another, tepee

ya, so busy with cny goodies..., so can only pop in n out quickly nowadays

just a glimpse to what I'm baking for my folks and loyal customers (they order every year)

love letters - kuih kapit

pic172.jpg

crispy beehives - kuih bunga ros

pic159.jpg

coincidentally, I make coconut buns too ( on the day U bake floss bun), for snack while busy baking the goodies.

pic120.jpg

ok, time to go back to more baking... :smile:

peony

Welcome back, peony! And thanks for bringing 2 of my favourite new year goodies with you. I don't make these...can't take the heat. :sad: But, I've ordered 2 tins of kuih kapit (folded triangle style)...looking for the rose now. I like it very very thin. My kids would love your coconut buns. As for biscuit-making, I'll only start a week or 2 before CNY, and they won't be much since from my experience, visitors much appreciate a simple meal than munching sweet stuff. Must be getting old...everyone is watching their waist/health.

Made beef cottage pie for dinner. Not chinese :rolleyes: so no pix, eh? :wink: lol. Dessert to counter the heat is winter melon with boxthorn berries, longan and honey dates - sweetened with honey rock sugar.

toongwajoong.jpg

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Dessert to counter the heat is winter melon with boxthorn berries, longan and honey dates - sweetened with honey rock sugar.

Tepee: Is boxthorn another name for wolfberry - gow gai jee? That's a new combination for teem tong for me. I'd like that as it has all the ingredients I like, especially the longan.

Peony: You mentioned customers. Do you have a home business, or do you have a store front? Do you ship overseas to Canada? :wink:

sheetz: Can you give more enticing details on the siu yook? I just wish the price was more reasonable for pork belly here. I remember it was cheaper back in my restaurant days. We used to buy cases for kuo lo yok, and it was a favourite with the customers even tho' gwai low always say "Fat Bad!" :laugh:

Now, with my kids, I could just make the crispy skin!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

This is an adaptation of Grace Young's recipe for Sichuan Dry-Fried String Beans. Since my partner and I made it with tons more ground pork, and also bacon grease for added flavor, on my blog I'm calling it Stir-Fried String Beans with Pork and Pork. The recipe and description are available here.

stringbeanstirfry2-hb.jpg

stringbeanstirfry3-hb.jpg

stringbeanstirfry-hb.jpg

Habeas: My hubby would nod his head at "Pork and Pork"! :biggrin:

aznsailorboi: There's no reason why you can't have this on your Aitkin's diet. This would work very well for Weight Watchers or South Beach - just no rice.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com