• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porthos

"Fussy" Coffee Cake Recipe - What is the Goal?

I am really a cook, not that much of a baker, but I just used a recipe my wife requested for a coffee cake. I do understand a few of the basics, why you cream the butter and sugar first and such, but not much more.

The recipe I just used had you do the usual creaming first, add the eggs and vanilla, but then it wanted the dry ingredients added a bit at a time, alternating with adding milk. In my mind this was a bit "fussy" but if there is a good reason for it I'm all ears. I'm willing to do things that make since and I understand - but when something looks like "black magic" instructions it leaves me cold. Any insights you all can give me are welcomed.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I find two additions of each wet and dry is usually "little by little" enough - half the dry, then half the wet, then the rest of the dry and the rest of the wet. If you add all of the flour first it will get too thick and be over-mixed by the time you beat all the liquid in to loosen it up. If you add all the liquid first, it won't emulsify well into the creamed mixture and will separate and look curdled.

How did your cake come out?

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

Thank you pastrygirl. I always wondered why you were supposed to follow those directions. It's truly clear now. (Yeah, I'm a slow learner some times.)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

pastrygirl - I won't know until Fathers Day Dinner.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Would you post the recipe?

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

• Similar Content

• By onemorebitedelara.com
      Has anyone used Valrhona Absolut Crystal neutral glaze particularly to thicken a coulis or to glaze a tart?  If so, how did you like it and is there another glaze you think worked as well but is less expensive or can be purchased in smaller quantities?  
    • By Jaymes
      Red Velvet Cake
      It does use a large amount of oil - 2 cups, but it sure ain't "dry." Red Velvet Cake was very popular back in the late 60's & 70's and there were frequently "Red Velvet Cake cookoffs." This recipe won the blue ribbon at several state fairs.
      2-1/2 c sifted cake flour 2 c sugar 1 c buttermilk 1 tsp soda 1 tsp vanilla 1 tsp salt 3 eggs 2 T cocoa 1 T white vinegar 1 oz red food color 2 C vegetable oil - regular "buttery flavor" is good but, if you can't find it, use 1 Cup Orville Redenbacher Buttery Flavor Oil for Popcorn (available in the popcorn section at the store) and 1 cup regular vegetable oil to make a total of 2C oil Cream cheese frosting:
      1 stick butter 1 tsp vanilla 8-oz pkg cream cheese 1 16-oz bag powdered sugar dash salt 1 c chopped pecans Cake
      Combine all ingredients; mix well and pour into 1 large or two small buttered and floured cake pans. Bake 300º for about 40 minutes, or until done
      Frosting
      Cream well, then frost well-cooled cake. 
      Keywords: Dessert, Cake
      ( RG466 )
    • By pastrygirl
      What do you all think is the safety level of leaving raw shortbread out at warm room temp (75-80f) for 18 hours?  Assume no eggs, just butter, sugar, and flour.... 

It will be baked, but I still fear that pathogens could grow. Or maybe it’s my years of pastry experience wherein cold dough has always been easier to handle and that’s why it seems so wrong. 😂

(This is not my doing, I have a renter in my kitchen.)

• By Wholemeal Crank
      I remember making bundt cakes with 'baked-in' filling, and now I wonder:  would a basic fruit curd stand up to being baked in the middle of a bundt cake without horrible texture fail?

Could something like this basic curd work, chilled enough to allow it to be applied with a pastry bag over the half-filled bundt cake batter, and topped with more batter?  Dreaming now of a pistachio cake with pomegranate filling, but thinking about other combinaions as well--what are the key characteristics required in a 'bake-in' filling?

2/3 cup sugar
      2 T cornstarch
      1 cup pomegranate juice
      1/4 cup lemon juice
      5 egg yolks, whisked together
      1/3 cup butter, cut into chunks

Stirred the sugar, cornstarch and juices together until there were no lumps, then brought it to about 160 degrees. Gradually added it to the whisked eggs, returned to heat, brought to near boil so the cornstarch thickened, then strained it into a bowl, whisked in the butter, and poured into serving dishes to chill.
    • By Galchic
      Hello, folks, thanks for reading.

My husband thinks, I should start selling my popcorn seasonings (which I make for my family), it’s a good product. But I'm not sure if it’s interesting to other people... So, what do you think, guys?

Our story: 
      We’ve bought an air popper machine, but popcorn came out pretty tasteless. Then, we’ve bought different “popcorn seasoning” mixes... But it always ends with all the seasoning at the bottom of the bowl. Then, we've added butter, oil and so on before seasoning...  we got soggy, chewy popcorn. Lot’s of disappointments…

When we almost gave up… the magic happened! I figured out the way to make seasonings that:
      Stick to popcorn, but not sticky to fingers (or T-shirt  , Easy to apply, May be pre cooked in bulk and stored… And popcorn appears crunchy, tasty, thoroughly covered with seasoning.  
      Sounds good, yep? Now, when I want to treat myself  - I only need 2 mins to turn tasteless popped popcorn to a real treat.  
      The only moment - it request 1 extra effort: after you toss it over popcorn, you need to microwave it for 1 min, and stir after.

So, I was wondering, if you like popcorn like myself - would this seasoning be interesting for you to purchase? Are you ready for a little extra work (microwave & stir) in the goal to flavor popcorn, or it feels too much effort?

As I have no experience in manufacturing and retail, your answers would help me to make a very important decision - to dive in or not... 

Thanks in advance for your answers, it means the world to me.