• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dewars for table side service

Jeff Moore

Anyone know where to get a small container for table side liquid nitrogen use? I've seen a few in videos, they look like coffee carafes. Only need to be enough for one application at a time, in the .25-.5 liter range.

Thanks!

Some coffee carafes will work, you need to make sure that they have a vent and that you keep it unobstructed.

That said, I'm not sure I'd every use LN2 tableside -too many chances of accidents. Waiters and patrons can bump you, the cold items occasionally and randomly send tiny shards or product shooting across the room, beads of it jump around, and just generally cause serious hazards for patrons (or anyone not wearing protective eyewear and appropriate clothing.)

And, of course, there's the suffocation issue.

Oxygen enrichment, which can happen as it gets exposed to air, can cause things that aren't flammable to spontaneously ignite.

http://www.cookingissues.com/primers/liquid-nitrogen-primer/