• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks to inspire and learn: vegetables and sides?

Ramathorn

"You cannot run away from weakness; you must some time fight it out or perish; and if that be so, why not now, and where you stand?"

Maybe a bit dramatic, but I've been thinking critically, lately, about my development as a cook. I'll note here an amateur, though enthusiastic, cook. I've come to the conclusion that my weakness now is a lack of creativity with respect to vegetables, both as sides and mains. And sides generally.

I've become so immersed in cooking the perfect, moist, flavourful chicken breast; mastering a med-rare rib eye, or cedar smoking a fillet of salmon so it's flakey but not overcooked; etc.--not to mention my latest experiments with cooking sous vide--that vegetables/sides have become kind of an afterthought. Carelessly steamed or sautéed and tossed on the plate next to the "true prize".

I know there's lots to learn. Any recommendations for books/resources that might help me both with ideas and technique for improving this area?

Thanks!

you don't want to know! ;-) it has got following sections: juices, flowers& herbs, vegetables and finally fruits. various recipes for each single thing. e.g.asparagus: green asparagus, lemon confit, poached quails egg and parmesan crisp! warm salad of green asparagus, gnocchi of ricotta & crunchy bacon! medley of white asparagus, wild garlic leaves & crispy chicken skin! want to suffer more? ;-)

• 1 month later...

Deborah Madison's new book Vegetable Literacy is a great book to cook and learn from. Her recipes are elegant and simple. She writes about the vegetables in a way that her cookbook is a springboard for your own creativity as well as just a collection of recipes. Vegetables Every Day by Jack Bishop is another one that is handy.