• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bison Meatloaf - Any Ideas?

Shel_B

We're having a couple of friends by for dinner soon, and I was planning to make a meatloaf. However, one of the guests can't eat beef, and I thought about making a turkey meat loaf. However, I'm not that crazy about turkey meatloaf, and thought about using buffalo meat, which is easy to come by here.

I looked at one or two recipes, and it seems that making a meatloaf with buffalo meat requires a relatively short cooking time, which may preclude browning and getting a nice crusty crunchy loaf, which we all like.

So, are there any ideas out there for making a nice Buffalo Meatloaf? Any thoughts about cooking time or additions to be sure the loaf doesn't dry out and remains juicy?

Thanks!

... Shel

Buffalo is very lean, so maybe some additional fat in the blend? For the crust, I'd pat on some panko and sprinkle with good oil, or maybe even schmaltz (chicken fat) for browning and crunch. Need to time it right, though, to avoid burning. Just a thought...

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I'm thinking that a rich panade would help quite a bit, or maybe some mushrooms? Recipes for meat loaf made with game (also usually very lean) might be a good starting point.

Yes indeed for the 'shrooms! I tried making some turkey burgers with creminis and liked the result, and can see how something similar may help the buffalo loaf. Didn't think to check for game meatloaf. Good idea ... wonder what will turn up.

... Shel

Im interested in what you make and how it turns out. Please consider a pic. My Beef meatloafs have never been as good as my turkey which I much prefer.

make sure you add a freshbread/milk mixture for tenderness and consider extra fat such as non-smoked or mixture of smoked and not bacon finely chopped. bacon on the top might help with dryness which you might consider broiling at the end.

and you betcha on the mushroom. a hint of garlic?

Edited by rotuts (log)

bacon lattice around the meatloaf. Do it on a rack instead of in a pan and smear the inside of the lattice with the sauce of you choice.. I like a spicy bbq sauce with some purreed garlic mixed in ..

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow