• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stepping Down (Back, but Not Out)

Chris Amirault

I'm writing to let Society members know that I'm stepping down from my position as Director of Operations for eG Forums. I'll remain a forum manager.

It's been an honor to serve the membership and lead a crack team of volunteers over these past several years. However, shortly after my blowout Xmas 2010/New Years 2011 foodblog -- which coincided with the publication of the sous vide megatopic index -- professional and personal life demanded that I take (what I then thought would be) a breather. Over the intervening months, life didn't stop with the demands, so that breather has turned into a need to step back from the position of Director into a more reasonable role as manager.

Of course, the volunteer directors, managers, and hosts around here are so good that it hasn't really mattered. So I'm stepping back, not out. I'll continue to contribute as a member on the forums and provide support behind the scenes, working with Linda as forums manager and serving Dave and Chris H as I'm able.

Finally, I write to express my gratitude to every member who has contributed to this strange little online world we've built. Like you, I've learned (and forgotten) more than I can quantify here in eG Forums, and the relationships I've formed with folks both online and offline enrich my life in myriad ways. Plus, stuff tastes a lot better than it did all those years ago.

So thanks -- and see you around.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Chris,

Sorry to hear about the change; hopefully we will continue to see you frequently on eGullet. I've always enjoyed your posts tremendously. Thanks for sharing your passion for food (and cocktails) with us. Good luck with this new phase in your life.

Chris, I honestly don't know how you kept up all this time. Go enjoy the other aspects of your life. We'll all be here, and we won't need to miss you, because you won't be far. Cheers and best wishes in finding the balance...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thank you Chris, you've been a real light here. I hope that you will now have the time to enjoy the rest of life, as well as the time to come and visit with us here.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Chris,

Thanks for all your work on EG. I have oft marveled at how well you managed to keep so many plates in the air as well as you did. Deb and I have made many a day trip into the Ocean State based on your informative insight and I have ventured deeper into the depths of charcuterie braced by the encouragement of your posts. Many thanks and Godspeed in all of your endeavors. I hope you will continue to keep us all entertained with your observations and conversation.

HC

Thanks, everyone. Your words mean a lot to me.

Chris, I honestly don't know how you kept up all this time. Go enjoy the other aspects of your life. We'll all be here, and we won't need to miss you, because you won't be far. Cheers and best wishes in finding the balance...

Yes, balance, precisely! I'm getting there.... (Oh, and congrats, Katie, your own self!)

Glad you aren't leaving.

Ditto.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Thanks Chris! Pretty pleased with that one. Stunned by how far and wide the press has spread.

But back to you. Enjoy yourself! You've earned it!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

All the best Chris.

So you're stepping ... back ... to a manager's role.

Most people would see that as a step up in involvement.

I hope people realise just how much you did in your time in the Director's role in addition to your huge contributions to the forums. Many thanks for your efforts.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Always happy to help, Judiu, and will be subscribing to more topics and forums now that I'm over a few bumps here. And, as ever, I'm available via the PM system to try to answer any questions I can.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Chris, I have been mostly absent over the past year as health and life threw me a couple of curves but I did not stop watching from the background. I want to express my deepest gratitude for all you have done, all I have learned from you and all that you give. You have nothing but my sincerest admiration! I am glad to know we will still have you here online even if you are stepping back from the director's post. I hope you get that breather! By the way, that christmas foodblog was an incredible learning experience and great joy for me personally!

I've got one body and one life, I'm going to take care of them.

I'm blogging as the Fabulous Food Fanatic here.

I've been racking my brain about what to say, Chris. I'm so happy to know you will be staying on and contributing your usual informative and pithy posts to the various discussions.

You have inspired many of us to branch out in new directions that would never have been attempted without your encouragement.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett