• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alternate uses for fondue pots

mskerr

I'm probably gonna buy my first fondue pot soon, and I love finding alternate uses for kitchen gadgets. I hear fondue pots work great for hot pots and shabu-shabu, and some people apparently manage to live for months or years without a kitchen, doing everything in a fondue pot.

What do you use yours for?

I have a Rival electric fondue and it works great as a small deep-fryer and as bonus it goes into the dishwasher. It is the stainless steel model not the non-stick one.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have had fondue with cheese, chocolate and hot oil. It gets the oil hot enough to cook thin pieces of beef. I also used the two fondue pots and two chaffing dishes I picked up at antique stores for actual cooking when the electricity went off for several days, including making soup and hot water for coffee. Those sterno cans get the pans hot enough for heating up any pre cooked food.

I have a Rival electric fondue and it works great as a small deep-fryer and as bonus it goes into the dishwasher. It is the stainless steel model not the non-stick one.

Ah, it was you, i remembered seeing someone here using it for a mini deep fryer, tried searching but couldn't find it. I have one also, works great for small batch deep fryer.