• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Smoke salmon quesadillas with onions, garlic, and bell pepper.

Linguini with garlic, hot peppers and evoo.

Salad: Heirloom tomatoes and tuna (decent tuna pack in olive oil) with garlic, onions, balsamic and evoo.

The pasta was for today's lunch.

Alex

For some reason I can't post pictures anymore and i don't have the time right now to figure out how to do it :sad:

last couple meals

Sun dinner:

meatballs, potatoes, green beans simmered in a tomato sauce with lots of fresh herbs

corn and black bean salad

Mon dinner:

fresh corn on the cob

pasta with pancetta, onions, lots of black pepper and tomatoes

Tues dinner:

shogayaki- pork stirfried with onions and carrots in a ginger sauce

matsumaezuke- a purchased product of seaweed (konbu), squid, herring roe (kazunoko) and carrots

seared salmon with finely shredded daikon and mustard and broccoli sprouts with a ponzu sauce

tomatoes

Weds dinner:

corokke (croquettes) with ground meat and potatoes

sanma no shioyaki-- salt grilled saury pike

tomato and spinach salad

all of the meal (except the pasta) were served with Japanese rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I made a pot of borscht.

with or without beets?

both versions are equally tasty. the one without beets, I've had a version with black bread and sour cream as accompaniaments.

Soba

You can make borscht without beets? :shock:

Who knew?

Shock of shock, my husband made dinner tonight!!! He grilled rib-eyes on the stove top grill pan. He doesn't do sides.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Thin sliced pork loin on delicious fat jalapeno-cheddar foccaccia from Safeway's bakery, Gulden's spicy brown, swiss & thinly sliced red onion, wrapped tightly in foil and heated in oven until gooey.

Sierra Nevadas.

That was all.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Thursday dinner:

cupboards are bare (3 more days til payday :sad: )

cooking from the freezer

chicken wings baked in a soy-honey-ketchup-garlic sauce

corn with butter

french fries

Japanese rice

the meal made the kids very happy! :biggrin:

Last night: sweet corn (yes, again), sliced tomatoes, Acme levain (baked that morning; delivered by my parents who came for dinner on their way home from the airport following a Berkeley pilgrimage). Leftover grilled chicken for those The One Who Must Have Meat.

Tonight: sweet corn (broken record) and BLT's on Acme.

Peaches for dessert both nights.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Skinless boneless chicen breasts :ducking: marinated with Goya Bitter Orange. Sauteed with Olive Oil then deglazed (while the meat rested) with more marinade, reduced, return chicken to pan to glaze. Yum.

Steamed corn (bought today from the Bloomfield Farmers Market).

Orange Tomato salad with salt, pepper and EVOO (ditto) topping toasted slices of Cuban Bread baked by eGullet's own, Elyse (same Farmers Market).

Mmm, mmm good. Sorry, no pics.

The mushrooms were already in the Brie.  It was good.  I wish I could remember the name. :unsure:

NeroW, there's a mushroom-included Brie-type cheese called just Champignon, from the German cheese folks who make the soft blue Cambazola, could that be it?

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Skinless boneless chicen breasts :ducking: marinated with Goya Bitter Orange. Sauteed with Olive Oil then deglazed (while the meat rested) with more marinade, reduced, return chicken to pan to glaze. Yum.

that's ok Rachel, I'll take the heat for you. :raz:

sounds delish.

last night:

broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts, rubbed with a couple of T. of EVOO and Patak's eggplant chutney before popping it in the oven. Cracked black pepper and garam masala. Red onion marmalade on the side.

couscous, cooked with a new batch of chicken stock that I made over the weekend. Tossed that with peas that had been sauteed in a little ghee, pinch of asafoetida, and a smidge of tahini folded in at the last minute.

steamed broccoli.

Evian.

Rose water lassi for dessert.

Soba

Another dinner for 6 celebrating/consuming the CSA basket.

Salad with Pears, Toasted Walnuts, and Shropshire Blue cheese:

p9030003.jpg

Cranberry Beans: (cooked, of course)

p9030002.jpg

Eggplants, Peppers and Tofu with Shiso:

p9030004.jpg

Broiled Mackerel with caramelized onions, garlic chips, and cherry tomatoes:

p9030005.jpg

Cucumber Sakekasu

Roasted Potatoes and Carrots

Cookies, Nectarines, and Blackberries for dessert.

The mushrooms were already in the Brie.  It was good.  I wish I could remember the name.   :unsure:

NeroW, there's a mushroom-included Brie-type cheese called just Champignon, from the German cheese folks who make the soft blue Cambazola, could that be it?

I remember it had "champignon" in there somewhere.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Thursday dinner:

I've been making chicken way too often, but I had chicken on the brain after reading the best chicken ever thread here, so I made chicken under a brick, with rosemary, garlic, olive oil, and lemon.

And I made Marie Martin's tomato tart from this week's NYTimes dining section, because I can't seem to stop eating tomatoes. Who is Marie Martin, you ask? That's what I want to know! Who is this woman, and why did Mark Bittman feature her in his article? I keep looking the article over, trying to find something that distinguishes this person and her cooking. Seems like she's just French. And possibly Bittman's girlfriend. (No offense, Mr. Bittman, if you should read this. I know you're an eGullet member. And we liked the tart. My wife, my cousin Lisa and I gobbled it all up, lickety split. So thanks for the article.)

And corn on the cob.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

And I made Marie Martin's tomato tart from this week's NYTimes dining section, because I can't seem to stop eating tomatoes.  Who is Marie Martin, you ask?  That's what I want to know!  Who is this woman, and why did Mark Bittman feature her in his article?  I keep looking the article over, trying to find something that distinguishes this person and her cooking.  Seems like she's just French.  And possibly Bittman's girlfriend.  (No offense, Mr. Bittman, if you should read this.  I know you're an eGullet member.  And we liked the tart.  My wife, my cousin Lisa and I gobbled it all up, lickety split.  So thanks for the article.)

And corn on the cob.

I've been wondering who this woman is as well. I happen to have the article sitting right next me and it does state that she's married to a guy named Charles Olson that she met at Oxford where she was teaching French and he was working on his PhD.

How was the tomato tart? The zucchini flan looked good as well.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Last night was Indian night at our house, except for the easy dessert of store-bought ice cream:

samosas - filled with peas, potatoes, and onions

Kerala chicken stew

cucumber raita

spicy fried cauliflower

rice

dessert - strawberry ice cream, butter-pecan ice cream

The long-awaited pernil. Boy, was it worth the wait!! Cooked for about 4 hours at 325 to 350, pulled out when the temp was about 155. As it sat to rest, everyone kept picking off pieces of the rind, yum.

- Gravy from the marinade, defatted pan juices, and more sour orange juice. It went from lovely green to ugly brown, but it was sooo tasty.

Suzzane-

Can you elaborate a bit more about the Pernil and the cooking method (covered/uncovered)? Did you shread it or slice it? I was under the impression that pernil refers to the pork leg but from reading your blog it seems like you used a shoulder.

Thanks

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Friday dinner:

a large pot of tonjiru (miso soup with daikon, carrots, gobo, konnyaku, dried shiitake, aburage and Japanese scallions)

nishin (herring) "sushi" (similar to shime-saba) sweet and sour with some shiso flavors, served on a bed of grated daikon

Japanese rice

Friday night's (shabbat) dinner will be:

A loaf of Pugliese (instead of challah)

Edamame (yeah!! they finally showed up at the greenmarket)

Cornmeal dredged whitefish, pan fried

A melange of tomatoes roasted in EVOO with slivers of garlic and oregano

Apricot souffle

Chocolate Poundcake

To drink will be spearmint infused ice tea and I haven't decided on the wine.

Saturday (shabbat) lunch will be:

A salad of red leaf lettuce, scallions, peppers, with slices of turkey breast and pastrami

Dilled Potato Salad (inspired by the potato salad thread)

Melon

How was the tomato tart?  The zucchini flan looked good as well.

The tart was good. Its chief virtue was its simplicity. I brought the butter to room temp. in the microwave, then had the dough in the fridge in five minutes. And the rest took only as long as it took to slice four tomatoes.

And the mustard was surprisingly tasty in this context. There's no question what it is, though. There's a lot of mustard in the recipe, and it comes through loud and clear. So if you're not a big mustard fan, you might cut down on it.

(By the way, I feel bad now about what I said about Mrs. Martin, who I'm sure is quite devoted to her husband. I was just kidding around, but shame on me.)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

hello, I'm fourteen mos. preggers, and what I rilly, rilly wanted for dinner was about four bloody Marys, so instead I pan-fried a steak with a tomato/cream/shallot sauce and homemade fries on the side. Whatever that means.....somebody please put me out of my misery and end this episode of Invasion of the Belly Snatchers!!!! :blink::wacko:

i00007.jpg

Turkey/Pork Larb Burgers, with a wasabi/shoyu/mustard mayonnaise and a vegetable medley of mottled Yellow/Green summer squash, corn, onion and chopped fresh tomato. With baked potato on the side.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host