• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Tom ka gai with some nice straw mushrooms

Thai garlic and basil rice

Sauteed in EVOO: Roast chicken with peas, straw mushrooms, Music garlic, and scallions

Fried shrimp and lap cheong dumplings with lots of nice garlic from HVGarlic Festival courtesy of alanz and family. :wub:

Sunday dinner:

very productive day yesterday, my husband built a new shelf for my kitchen! :biggrin: and I cleaned up the backyard, getting rid of old plants and putting in new ones (kumquats and sudachi), cutting the grass, trimming bushes, etc, etc and while we were doing all of this we had a pork belly smoking away.......... :biggrin:

smoked pork belly sliced and dipped in a salt, pepper and lime juice mixture

Vietnamese deep fried spring rolls eaten with a carrot and cucumber "pickle" and wrapped in lettuce leaves

Jasmine rice

dessert:

ice cream

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Sunday dinner

Chicken in red wine casserole- chicken pieces dipped in milk, floured and fried. Then cooked in casserole with chicken broth, sherry, marsala, mushrooms, Mission figlets, shallots and lots of Music garlic. Served over buttered spaetzle. :wub:

Accompanied with buttered brussels sprouts, and butternut squash with butter, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Leftover Russian-made birthday cake(kind of like a Black Forest cake).

Just got some new Thai cookbooks and a book of recipes of all the countries of the former USSR. Way neat books. So may see some of their stuff floating in on this thread in the future.

Small salad: spinach dressed with a Caesar-ish vinaigrette and truffle oil, topped with julienned roasted beets and sautéed mushrooms, and bacon (adapted from a Larousse Gastronomique recipe)

Tuna steaks with basil pesto

Butternut squash, corn, spinach, onion, and...bacon! (Epicurious/Bon Appétit recipe -- Thanks, MatthewB)

2001 Mommessin Mâcon Villages

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Saturday dinner:

Invited a bunch of people over and had a dry run at Thanksgiving, which we'll be hosting this year for the first time.

We had:

Thompson's Turkey and stuffing

James Beard's bread stuffing (as related by Mark Bittman)

homemade cranberry sauce

marinated mushrooms

maple pureed butternut squash

green beans with butter, lemon and rosemary

macaroni & cheese

creamed onions

pumpkin pie

and pecan pie

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Leftover Pernil and its gravy

Baked chayote slices (unlike the one in SethG's signature, mine had fangs :shock: )

Green plantain slices with piperade and serrano pepper, sherry vinegar (hot)

Sliced avocado

Leaves-only salad with oregano vinegar and oo

Dr. Konstantin Frank Dry Riesling

Sunday:

broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts (rubbed with a pinch of Gujarati-style garam masala and a couple of T. of EVOO)

slow roasted tomatoes

cilantro chatni

couscous

green salad

apple cider

Next time, I'll use more oil and less salt for the tomatoes. Otherwise, they were amazing. (Slice plum tomatoes 1/4" thick, drizzle with EVOO, sprinkle of kosher salt, a smidge of asafoetida and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Roast at 200 F for 4 to 7 hours. Concentrated summery goodness.)

Soba

edit: you can season the tomatoes using whatever you have on hand. I vary the seasonings from just EVOO and salt to a smidge of turmeric (to bring out the color and add a little pungency) to what I did last night. Generally minimal is best. The tomatoes are really the star of the show. These were plum tomatoes but they work just as well with any kind, even tangerine tomatoes (which I had the pleasure of tasting while I was in San Francisco last week -- at the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero).

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Big, thick hamburgers cooked outside on the grill with cheddar cheese, grilled onion, avocado, tomato and dijon on a toasted bun.

A bag each of Zapps' spicy crawtaters and Cape Cod Chips (I usually don't each chips, but David Rosengarten recommended these - they are terrific)

Stop Family Violence

Sunday dinner:

Spinach-mushroom quiche (with all-butter crust, of course)

Steamed leeks with vinaigrette

"Rustic" bread (storebought, and that's what it was called)

Boca Negra (from "Baking with Julia"--3/4 lb bittersweet chocolate + 2 sticks butter + 1/2 c bourbon + 5 eggs

in an 8-inch cake pan = :blink::wub: )

She blogs: Orangette

Chard and onion risotto, using up the last of the soupe a l'oignon from last week

Seared wine-deglazed shrimp

Honeycrisp apple slices and oatmeal cookies

Eaten at UMD. I was amused by taking a decent meal to my partner while he had a break between classes there. I set out nice silverware and would have brought wine if I hadn't been feeling a little under the weather (and a little unsure that wine is legal in an academic/performance building!)

Monday night:

beef stew, simmered for 5 hours with boiled potatoes and sauteed mushrooms tossed in at the very end

homemade bread

carrot and butter rice

dessert:

ice cream

Monday

Vietnamese spring rolls with nac mam, lettuce and mint

Grilled Chicken wings with JJ's rub

Fried rice with roast pork, shrimp, egg, scallion, peas, little chicken broth and

sea salt

stir fried baby bok choy with garlic

baby carrots

Late Monday dinner:

Broiled Cornish game hens, first rubbed with a knob of garlic butter and some sage before popping it into the oven. (Skin on this time! heheh.)

Roasted root vegetables with lemon-balsamic viniagrette

Tomato confit.

Orzo.

Evian (me)

Ovaltine (my roommate)

Gonna go eat in a few minutes, but tossing around ideas for dessert....

Soba

Sunday night/ pre-Yom Kippur fast

Chicken Soup w/Matzoh balls

Turkey Breast w/Apricot-ginger sauce

Bulgur Pilaf

Baked Potatoes and Baked Sweet Potatoes

Monday night/break-fast

Assorted Bagels

Cream Cheese

Whitefish Salad

Farmer Cheese

Plain Omlettes

Chocolate Babka

Blueberry Cake

Baked Farmer Cheese w/Apples and Cinnamon

Tea and Coffee

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Tonight was left-overs....

Tomato Soup

Turkey Breast w/apricot-ginger sauce

bulgur pilaf

ratatouille

There's homemade sorbet in the freezer. Maybe we'll have some of that later.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Tuesday dinner:

moving into fall with

kuri gohan (chestnut rice)

tori-dango nabe, a nabe (one pot dish) of chicken meatballs with hakusai (Chinese cabbage), daikon, shiitake and mizuna eaten with ponzu

dessert:

ice cream sanwiches

Olives, hummous, pita;

Green salad with balsamic dressing;

Spicy lamb sausage;

Rice.

But it could have just as soon been peanut butter and jelly; I'm just thrilled to have a functional kitchen again. Even doing the dishes was fun.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Last evening, an I Ran for CA Governor, Did You gathering featuring Kit Anderson's Bad Attitude Chili, a link to which is found in this eGullet chili discussion. Excellent recipe. I used about half & half New Mexico and California chili powders.

And then some accompaniments for folks to add at will, boiled pinto beans, steamed Mahatma long-grain (Craig Claiborne's suggestion), grated medium cheddar, minced white onion, sour cream.

Coleslaw, cornbread muffins, honey & butter together again.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Last night didn't count: take-out sushi with green tea.

Tonight: Tried-and-True African Tofu Peanut Stew :biggrin:

Saute lots of ginger, garlic, and minced onions.

Add a spice mix including turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne, salt, some Ethiopian Berbere powder if you can find it.

Add tofu chunks, fry for a bit.

Add diced tomatoes, I like to add a large can.

Add a large dollop or two of peanut butter, stir to mix.

Add chopped collard greens.

Cover and cook 'til greens are steamed through. Serve over rice, maybe with some plain yogurt on the side.

This is cheap, easy, and surprisingly delicious. Even better with coconut milk.

We will probably have beer or wine with this.

Our meals will get more interesting as the month progresses and tightening finances force me to find edible preparations for the varied and ancient grains/legumes dumped on us by my mother. :hmmm:

Weds night, continuing with my kid friendly meals:

mapodofu --stir fried saucy tofu dish but I cut back on the spices because of the 5 kids eating it

shumai (these were gone within 10 seconds of placing them on the table)

simmered satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potato) with lemon

Japanese rice

Tonight I'm repenting for the left-overs we ate last night by making something Brand-New with an ingredient I never used before!!!

Wilted Broccoli Rabe (the new ingredient) with garlic and sweet veal sausage

The Broccoli Rabe is wilting as I type. I have no idea how it will taste, but it smells damn good.

Parsley-crusted salmon on a bed of mushrooms and spinach, topped with a broken red wine vinaigrette made with a cheap Woodbridge cabernet I found in the wine rack.

Roasted potatoes with garlic and rosemary pinched from my friend's garden.

A big glass of said cabernet.

Leftover oatmeal cookies and bits of pecan brickle for dessert.

Been living off my mock Thanksgiving leftovers since Saturday.

Tonight:

Buttermilk-soaked fried chicken

and steamed broccoli

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Wednesday dinner(definitely a fruity dinner)

Mixed greens with vinagrette, pears, walnuts and Manchego

Beef shumai, shrimp shumai

Duck a L'Orange served with Chinese steamed slighty sweet bread to make duck sandwiches :wub:

Apple and cinnamon flavored Long Grain and Wild Rice

Whipped sweet potatoes with cinnamon and nutmeg

Apple Raspberry Clafoutis (served in individual dishes topped with whipped cream)