• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vadouvan - Please post your favorite recipe using this seasoning.

Heartsurgeon

I make a large batch of vadouvan 1-2 times/year by scaling up the epicurious recipe.

I make a chicken with vadouvan and leek, (variation of an epicurious recipe) that is addictive:

2 leeks, split down the middle, then sectioned into 1 inch segments (well washed)

4 chicken breasts - season with salt and pepper

1/3 cup vadouvan

1/4 cup heavy cream

1 cup white wine

2 cups chicken stock

sear/brown chicken with small amount butter/canola oil in saute pan - set aside

saute leeks in same pan (add a little more canola if needed) until translucent

deglaze the pan with the wine, combine leeks/wine/chicken/chicken stock - simmer for 15-20 minutes covered (until chicken is done).

add cream when a few minutes remain.

serve over rice.

I have tried this same recipe with turkey breast (didn't care for it!), and I have decided vadouvan doesn't go well with beef.

I need some new, killer use for this spice.

Favorite recipes for using this spice mix would be appreciated, including any sous vide applications.

Hopefully there are some others addicted to this seasoning out there!

I tried making that same recipe a couple of years ago but ended up with a most unappetizing brown sludge. I would be interested in a second attempt but would need lots more guidance. Perhaps you could do a tutorial?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

"I tried making that same recipe a couple of years ago but ended up with a most unappetizing brown sludge. I would be interested in a second attempt but would need lots more guidance. Perhaps you could do a tutorial? "

sounds correct - the end result is dark chocolate color (some might say brown sludge).

It takes several hours to make this curry, and just a warning, the odor lingers in the house for a week after you make it.

I have used standard yellow onions, and more recently Walla Walla onions - no difference detected

I pulse the onions in a food processor with the chopping blade, essentially a dice, same with the shallots and the garlic.

I sweat all the above on medium heat in a heavy saute pan, usually takes me multiple batches..I go for just a hint of brown in the onions etc (they get fully caramelized in the oven later). Don't burn the garlic.

I have several sheet pans covered with a silpat near the stove. As each batch of onion/shallot/garlic gets done, i dump it onto a sheet pan and sprinkle some of the spices on top. Once all the veg is cooked off, i make sure the veg and spices are well mixed. Then I distribute the spiced oniony goop to several sheet pans, and layer it out, ends up about 1/2 inch in depth, typicall 2-3 sheet pans (1/2 size)Into the oven at 300 degrees for 2-3 hours, about once an hour, I flip the goop over and mix it a little. Eventually the goop is dehydrated significantly, and the mixture has caramelized deeply, I might pop the temp up to 350 if its not browning fast enough. I baking the mixture when i start to get little bits turning black around the edges. i don't want a burnt flavor. Bythis time the goop has shrunk down to a fairly thin layer of uniformly dark brown "sludge". I scrape the sludge up, pack it in silcone ice cube tray and freeze it (covered in saran wrap). I shrink wrap the cubes the following day.

Meant to say I stop baking the mixture once little blackened bits start forming around the edges.

The frozen vadouvan "pucks" measure about 1/3 cup each. Individually vacumn sealed, i've used them up to a year after i've made them with good result. It takes at least 4 hours to make this in bulk (i start with a 10 pound sack of onions, which typically yeilds about 8 pounds of usable onion, and scale the recipe from there. between all the prep, cooking and packaging time...it adds up.

i also agree that the end result resembles sludge...and has a harsh taste if eaten directly. HOWEVER, once it gets mellowed out with some cream and other ingredients, it is addictive. Plus, I usually have wild dreams after eating it (something in the garlic/shallot/onion family enhances dreaming...).

when i make the chicken in vadouvan/cream/leek sauce, the vadouvan is added in with the chicken stock and allowed to simmer for 15-20 minutes.

"Sometimes I'll do a crabcake with vadouvan sauce... "

Do you incorporate the vadouvan into the crab cake or make a sauce?

If sauce, how do you make it? Do you like it (hard to tell from your post)?

Have you tried the sauce with any other seafood?

Sorry for being so vague... I do like the combination - but haven't tried it with other seafood - don't see why it wouldn't work well with lobster - like a vadouvan flavored Newburg or other seafood...

I tend to make the crabcakes taste like crab, adding the vadouvan to a sauce, rather than to the crabcake itself. Basically, I'll mince a small amount of shallot, garlic and ginger (or grate) and sweat in a little oil. Add the vadouvan and sweat with the veg until fragrant. Take off the heat, deglaze with lemon juice and then whisk in creme fraiche or heavy yogurt to make a thick sauce.

I mixed 2 tablespoons of vadouvan into about 1.5 cup plain yogurt and i'm going to baste some chicken on the grill tonite.

meanwhile, i must say, it makes a great sauce just the way it is, cold! I've used it with crackers, on a sandwich...i'm going to try it in some grilled veggies later tonite.

great idea! thanks!

makes me wonder about adding it to whipping cream with a little lemon, and beating it, to make a topping for fish, or even adding it to an ice cream base for vadouvan ice cream.

i will have to try the mac cheese idea and the crab cake topping as well.

i appreciate the ideas and recipes.

Vadouvan

Vadouvan, also known as Vaudouvan, Vadovam, or Vadavam, is sauteed shallots, onions and garlic flavored with an Indian Masala spice mix and oven roasted until sticky and smoky. Traditional Masala Curry is a mix of garlic, ginger, chilli, cumin, cardamom, turmeric, mustard & fenugreek, nutmeg & cloves.

The French bought a small fishing village in Pondicherry from a local sultan in the 1600’s quickly converting the small fishing Village into a prosperous trading port and staying until 1954. The French Colonials, just like the British during the reign or Raj, began a fusion cuisine by flavouring their sautéed onions, garlic & shallots with Masala spice mix, drying it in the oven and calling it Vadouvan. There doesn’t seem to be a root word for Vadouvan so we assume some French colonial cook invented it.

The Culinary Library Recipe for Vadouvan:

Is it any wonder you begin making Vadouvan the same as if you were making French Onion Soup?

Slowly sauté 1 kg of sliced/chopped onions, ½ kg of shallots and 1 full head of chopped garlic cloves, in a good quantity of butter or ghee until golden brown and soft. Then add in no particular order, 1 heaped tablespoon of ground cumin and a generous teaspoon each of ground cardamom, brown or black mustard seed, fenugreek seeds bruised in the mortar & pestle, turmeric, salt & pepper, (maybe the fat luscious Tellicherry pepper from the opposite coast of India if you have it!). Then add ½ teaspoon each of nutmeg, red pepper flakes and ground clove.

Spread the mix onto a flat tray and roast/dry in a 180C (350F) oven for about an hour until browned but still a little moist. When cool add finely chopped curry leaves if desired.

Flavor: rich, savory, alliumy, sweet, smoky.

Pair with: Meats of all kinds, root vegetables, soups, sauces, grains & legumes, dairy.

Cook: Best fried first in rich fats like butter or duck fat to bring out the rich smoky flavour.

Store: refrigerate for a couple of weeks or Freeze.