• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carafe or Pitcher Suggestion Wanted

Shel_B

I can't locate my favorite carafe and so it's time to replace it. I am looking for some suggestions as I can't seem to find what I want on the net or at local stores. Here's what I'd like:

Glass;

Tight fitting lid, preferably a stopper type;

1.5 liter or so capacity;

Ideal for hot or cold liquids;

Easy to pour;

About 12-inches tall maximum;

Handle unneccessary.

Thanks for any pointers or suggestions ...

... Shel

Interesting. We are looking for such a pitcher also. For us I would add NOT thermos. And brightly colored, as in red or yellow.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

For Mjx: Glass

And I suppose that I should add, like Darienne, I don't want an insulated, or Thermos-style, carafe. A nice color would be great - my old one had a pattern of citrus on it., but that's not too important.

... Shel

For Mjx: Glass

And I suppose that I should add, like Darienne, I don't want an insulated, or Thermos-style, carafe. A nice color would be great - my old one had a pattern of citrus on it., but that's not too important.

Shel_B no doubt in wanting a 'nice' color, is probably wanting something more sophisticated and understated than what I want. I want crayon color bright. It's for my kitchen only which is completely white except for whatever else I put into it and right now I am heavily into bright Crayola colors. Third or fourth childhood, I reckon. :raz:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Shel_B no doubt in wanting a 'nice' color, is probably wanting something more sophisticated and understated than what I want. I want crayon color bright. It's for my kitchen only which is completely white except for whatever else I put into it and right now I am heavily into bright Crayola colors. Third or fourth childhood, I reckon. :raz:

Oh, not necessarily. I don't mind bright colors at all. The missing carafe had a bright yellow and orange pattern on it.

... Shel

Something like this, perhaps? Or more like this one? (Unfortunately, I'm not sure if Cristar is sold north of Colombia....)

this, perhaps? is close, but this one? is not ... it doesn't have a lid. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search=Bormioli%20Rocco%20Frigoverre%202-liter%20Handled%20Glass%20Pitcher?storeId=10153&yikes_prod=1680887753&catalogId=12605&autoRedirect=false might work.

... Shel

I'm partial to the Eva Solo fridge carafes, which seem to fit all the criteria (they're fine with boiling liquids), but are a little on the expensive side (the two I have I got at a deep discount, at a shop that was going out of business). They do look nice, though.

Nice, but, as you say, way too much $$ for what I want.

... Shel

• 3 months later...

Shel

Would this work. It sounds kind of like the one you had. Carafe My mom had one just like this and the picture reminded me of her kitchen.

<LOL> Somehow I missed your message. At the time of my original post, I'd forgotten about eBay. Today I bought the very same carafe on eBay, and I'm one very happy fella! :biggrin: BTW, that's exactly the one I had.

... Shel

• 2 weeks later...