• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

Unless I'm looking at the image wrong, the wagyu isn't 1.5"-2" thick. I don't think I've ever seen a thick, untrimmed wagyu rib steak offered for sale; the ones I've seen are always sliced quite thin (for a steak), an inch or less. You really don't want to be eating a 2" thick A5 rib steak, unless it's serving 12 people or something. I saw Grant Achatz do a SV wagyu demo on a thicker steak, which he cooked to very rare but then did a super sear on just one side. This gave it a spectrum of doneness from very rare to well done by the crispy edge. But the steak was subsequently carved into tasting portions enough to serve a small crowd. It was definitely a restaurant preparation. But I digress.

In the event that it's a slimmer cut, I'd trim it into individual muscle groups and just sear everything hard until it's done. (Be sure to save the larger pieces of fat to make fried rice with. Or render up some crispy fat bits and saute green beans in it. Or whatever... save the fat, it's good.)  IMO, there's no big benefit to SV on thinner wagyu rib steaks; you don't need to tenderize them, and you're not going to render much fat (though more will render than conventional beef, as the fat contains more monounsaturated fat). And if they're not super thick, they're relatively easy to cook. Salt, sear, done. The last time I ate some (lower end) wagyu, that's what I did anyway.

If you sear A5 in a dry pan, by the time you're done, it'll be shallow-frying in its own fat. And that's okay. You want to render that fat. You need to render that fat. It's still going to be the fattiest beef you've ever had in your life. And that's okay too. 

btbyrd

btbyrd

Unless I'm looking at the image wrong, the wagyu isn't 1.5"-2" thick. I don't think I've ever seen a thick, untrimmed wagyu rib steak offered for sale; the ones I've seen are always sliced quite thin (for a steak), an inch or less. You really don't want to be eating a 2" thick A5 rib steak, unless it's serving 12 people or something. I saw Grant Achatz do a SV wagyu demo on a thicker steak, which he cooked to very rare but then did a super sear on just one side. This gave it a spectrum of doneness from very rare to well done by the crispy edge. But the steak was subsequently carved into tasting portions enough to serve a small crowd. It was definitely a restaurant preparation. But I digress.

In the event that it's a slimmer cut, I'd trim it into individual muscle groups and just sear everything hard until it's done. (Be sure to save the larger pieces of fat to make fried rice with. Or render up some crispy fat bits and saute green beans in it. Or whatever... save the fat, it's good.)  IMO, there's no big benefit to SV on thinner wagyu rib steaks; you don't need to tenderize them, and you're not going to render much fat (though more will render than conventional beef, as the fat contains more monounsaturated fat). And if they're not super thick, they're relatively easy to cook. Salt, sear, done. The last time I ate some (lower end) wagyu, that's what I did anyway.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW8vLUcJLf4/

If you sear A5 in a dry pan, by the time you're done, it'll be shallow-frying in its own fat. And that's okay. You want to render that fat. You need to render that fat. It's still going to be the fattiest beef you've ever had in your life. And that's okay too.