• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Muir Glen Fire Roasted organic tomatoes

gfweb

• 2 years later...

There may always be potential carcinogens in tomatoes.....including but probably not limited to ...benzaldehyde..caffeic acid...quercetin glycosides..acetaldehyde...

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

There may always be potential carcinogens in tomatoes.....including but probably not limited to ...benzaldehyde..caffeic acid...quercetin glycosides..acetaldehyde...

That may be, but the question, as I understood it, was whether fire-roasting added carcinogens.

... Shel

Anybody see anything odd about growing pesticide/toxin-free tomatoes and then fire-roasting them in carcinogen laden smoke? Shouldn't this void the organic label?

Taste good though.

My point is, there's no such thing.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Anybody see anything odd about growing pesticide/toxin-free tomatoes and then fire-roasting them in carcinogen laden smoke? Shouldn't this void the organic label?

My point is, there's no such thing.

OK, I see what you mean ... we were talking about different things.

... Shel

I'm a fan of this brand partly because they're one of the few to use BPA-free cans. I think in general BPA is way-overhyped issue (you'll have to pry my polycarbonate nalgene bottles from my cold dead hands). But in canned foods, especially acidic ones like tomatoes, there's a chance for the levels of the chemical to get really high. 

They're also available at my local store, and as Weedy says, they're tasty.

Notes from the underbelly

They're also available at my local store, and as Weedy says, they're tasty.

I'm curious to know what people pay for these tomatoes.  Around here they are about $2.49 for a small can.

Yesterday I found 'em on sale for $1.49 can, grabbed a few cans, and will go back to the store later today and grab a few more.

... Shel

They have a few different products that are fire-roasted.

Basic Muir Glen fire-roasted diced tomatoes are $1.89 for a 14.5 ounce can and $2.99 for the 28 ounce can at the store I frequent most....that's regular price.

I may give them a try.