• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iceberg lettuce ideas

piracer

So i was trying to figure out a way to use iceberg lettuce in a salad aside from those nasty shreds with misc amounts of other random vegetables. The only salad i know dedicated to iceberg is of course the wedge with a blue cheese dressing and as nice as that is, its boring after a while.

But either wise, what else would you do with iceberg?

I like it with the thick "Japanese" dressing, the one that tastes of ginger and sesame and is orangey. Don't know what it's called.

It's also good used as a crunch element with other lettuces.

For a winter salad, I like it with creamy avocado and segments of fresh orange or grapefruit. It has enough crunch against the avocado and the fruit and yet is bland so you focus on the other elements.

We made this salad -- Wolfgang Puck's "Chinese" chicken salad -- but used iceberg lettuce instead of the romaine. It worked quite well with the dressing.

I've always liked iceberg lettuce - I even like it with the old-fashioned (and totally plebian) thick, "Russian" dressing that I remember from my childhood.

I simply slice it crosswise from crown to stem so I have a few similar-sized rounds and some smaller pieces I can break up and distribute on top and then let my guests add their preferred dressings.

When I have guests I set out several little side dishes of olives, capers, chopped hard-boiled eggs, and ?? so they can add their own.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Cut into wedges. Brush cut edges with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill in grill pan or barbeque until somewhat colored. Serve with gribiche sauce.

This looks absolutely terrific. And I can hardly wait to prepare it for a friend that turns up her nose at iceberg lettuce. Not because of anything poor ol' iceberg did or didn't do, I posit, but primarily because it is now so hopelessly out of fashion. In fact, it's SO out of fashion that otherwise bold and brave and competent people are even hesitant to admit they actually like it.

Fascinating, don't you think, that otherwise perfectly sane, confident adults can be so easily intimidated over a foodstuff?

We always have at least three or four types of lettuce in the house. Sometimes, when you want that crunch, nothing else will do. We like it on sandwiches. We use it for various Asian roll-ups. And we always use it in our Israeli-style chopped salads.

Poor iceberg.

How far you've dropped from the days when a big wedge of you adorned with a creamy cascading cape of piquant Roquefort dressing served tableside at the fanciest steakhouses was the veritable height of sophistication.

All well.

You know how it is in culinary fashion. One day you're in.

And the next day....

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Iceberg is the Rodney Dangerfield of lettuces: It don't get no respect.

Well, it does at my house. We love it on sandwiches and in salads, of course. It stores well and doesn't bruise, is available year round and is inexpensive. I'd rather have it than boutique lettuces, although I do grow leaf lettuces in my salad garden. Nothing else looks so elegent as a crisp wedge of iceberg with blue cheese dressing and bacon crumbles on it's own plate.

And they are so easy to prepare and store. Rap them stem end down on the cutting board and the core pops right out. Wash, spin, use what you need and store the rest. I keep mine in an unsealed gallon plastic ziplock bag.