• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Your Own Ham Base for Gravy

highchef

I make ham stock and keep it in the freezer for beans, soups, etc., but I never heard of ham base. I looked it up and low and behold it's a common product. Some seem more natural than others. The creepiest ones have "ham flavor" as the main source of ham. The instructions on one of these products says to use 1 T base to 1 cup water. That's awfully strong concentrate.

I can't see how you would make your own except to make a very strong ham stock, and then cook it down a lot, the advantage being economical storage and the ability to control the strength of the flavor by diluting as desired. I can see how it would be useful for fast gravy; you wouldn't have to spend time cooking down the stock. On the other hand, it takes a fair amount of heat/energy and time to cook down stock to that degree of concentrate, no?

Ive been using Minor's various 'bases' for some time. I keep them frozen and stock up ( :laugh: ) once a year when they have free/reduced shipping.

I use them for the salt component in gravy or stock for soups.

Ive tried some of the low-salt versions but have not decided on those yet.