• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salting a rib roast

HowardLi

Also, it doesn't seem as though it would be possible to use the rendered fat for Yorkshire pudding, as the high-heat browning happens right before serving. Do you all insist on beef tallow, or can butter or bacon grease be substituted?

I will be doing a prime rib soon too , so I read the recipe.. My understanding after reading it , is that he is calling for uncovered air drying in the fridge overnight whether you choose to salt the day before or not. I am not sure I agree with this though, if you salt and wrap eventually any moisture the salt pulls out will be reabsorbed. I wonder if a two day process might work. Salt and wrap overnight first night, then uncovered airdry overnight second night.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Hi,

Kenji's recipe definitely calls for leaving the roast uncovered in the fridge. Salting in advance does not change this direction, leave it uncovered. Yes, the salt will draw out moisture which will be reabsorbed over time. That moisture will collect on the surface and does not need plastic wrapping. (plastic wrapping will inhibit the drying and may upset the effect of salting.

Tim

Interesting recipe, I do the pre salt couple hours before cooking , but I do the500deg.+ cook , at the beginning and then finish at 240/50 until the temp is correct, for me seems to make a more even levelcook/color in the finished product....

Bud

I did a similar thing a few years ago for Christmas Day. The rib went in for 24 hours at 130/55, then 30 mins in a very hot oven at the end, followed by a long rest in a warm place. The results were excellent, and the meat was incredibly juicy, but it was still well browned on the outside. The only problem was that the entire house smelt of beef for the entire day before, and I was sorely tempted to just pull it from the oven and cut slices off for sandwiches!

If when you die you get a choice between pie heaven and regular heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if not, mmmboy.