• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canned Meat

David Ross

I am all for Spam, still fry it occasionally, but best of all it was in my Army canteen,

battered and deep fried, two thick slices with plenty of tomato sauce and French fries .

Mind you, most things taste good battered and deep fried

Harking back to my Army days in the late '50s, I recall the Spam hash - potatoes, onions and peppers that seemed to appear on the Saturday menu whenever one particular mess sergeant was on duty.

The mess hall was in another building (at the Presidio SF) but if we had our windows open we knew what was on the menu as soon as we got out of bed.

This is diverging a bit from canned meat, but now I'm reminded of my time in the Navy back in the early 60's when our aircraft squadron would go to sea aboard an aircraft carrier. After a couple of weeks the fresh eggs would run out and breakfast would often consist of reconstituted eggs and potatoes with a side of fried baloney. :hmmm:

In the early years of my airline career I worked as a Flight Attendant. This was in the pre-9/11 days and we could basically bring anything through in our suitcase. I always carted my college days hot pot with me, a can opener, and cans of meat chili or even better-a can of Mary Kitchen Corned Beef Hash. Heated up in the hot pot it was cheaper than eating hotel food or ordering room service, albeit a fatty, salty option. And I still eat it today.

When you open the can be prepared for what looks like a compressed log of Alpo Dog Food-chunks of potato pressed together with pinkish globs of meat product. But put it in a frying pan and the magic begins. It fries up to a crispy, golden crust and juicy, hashy insides. Cover that with a sunnyside up egg and you have a pretty decent breakfast.

Because of this thread, I remembered how I used to love Underwood Liverwurst. I haven't seen it in the stores for years, but just Googled and found it still available. I don't think I'll order it because I doubt it would hold up to my memory of warm toast spread with this liverwurst. It was a special snack my mom would share with me as my sisters thought it was horrible.

Because of this thread, I remembered how I used to love Underwood Liverwurst. I haven't seen it in the stores for years, but just Googled and found it still available. I don't think I'll order it because I doubt it would hold up to my memory of warm toast spread with this liverwurst. It was a special snack my mom would share with me as my sisters thought it was horrible.

RYE toast, and thin, thin slices of onion... Yum! :smile:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"