• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Medicated pastille/jelly develoment help :(

Eldictator

Hi everyone!I'm new to the blog and picking up many tips.:)

I would appreciate it greatly if anyone could answer all or some of my questions.I have searched past topics but I need specific points answering...Regards in advance

I had a business idea a couple of years ago whilst sitting bored at my desk at work. The basis of the idea was a natural, traditional throat and cough remedy that tasted nice and had ingriedients that had some scientific basis as to their "healing" powers. I need to take on the large pharmaceutical companies with a hand made anti bacterial candy

Now there are many pastilles,hard candies,jellies and other confectioneries that help relieve symptoms.

To cut a long story short I did a lot of research and tasting and came up with philosophy for the product and a list of ingriedients that were beneficial.

I decided on a pastille/ pate de fruit style jelly sweet, but I wanted a pure honey liquid centre.

As I mentioned I needed it to be natural,so all non natural flavours,colours, sweetners were out

I also needed it to be vegetarian

My current list of possible ingriedients for the prototype is as follows..

Pectin- Natural demulcent and natural gelling agent

agar agar- to add a little more firmness to the jelly pastille

lemon juice- main flavour, amalfi or sicilian?

citric acid- to add a zing and to produce saliva

liquid honey- for the centre

powdered/crystalised honey - to coat the jelly

any tips, recipes, additions, changes would be greatly welcomed...Any ideas on how to make the centre liquid?

andy

Eldictator

edit *Development*

Edited by Eldictator (log)