• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saving jars

We generally save glass jars from preserves, etc., to use in our cabinets as storage containers. Of course less and less stuff comes in glass these days, and lids are often not designed for long-term survivability. I also just had an experience where I couldn't get the pickle smell out of a plastic-lined lid.

Anyway, would love to get your input on jars, the best ones (I sometimes will make a close product purchasing decision based on the reusability of the jar), how to deal with them, stories, wit, wisdom, etc.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

No. What's the procedure?

Just make a ittle paste, rub it in the lid. Leave overnight. You might have to do it a few times, but I have had it freshen plastic up after leaving in citrus juice and getting an off smell. So, theoretically....

I'll try it right now. I still have the lid sitting here.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I save jars, but I'm selective; I only keep those for which I have a fairly definite use in mind. And I've definitely had my purchasing decisions influenced by the projected usefulness of the jar (also acquired two small glass prep bowls this way, which originally contained custard, and a ceramic baking dish, which originally contained a sort of country pâté).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Honey jars are always useful - nice size and don't have a pickle smell! I have a friend who always gives me her honey jars because we don't eat much honey in our house.

Incidentally, I keep separate lids for savoury preserves (read: pickle) and sweet preserves/ghee. That way no risk of pickle smell in my jam/syrup/ghee!

You all have Insane Kitchen Hoarding disorder, of course...

Be that as it may, I save jars that are truly Bell or Mason jars. That way, a new lid is all I need, and I keep a supply of those on hand. A lot of the "artisanl" stuff I buy comes in said jars. Other jars, like peanut butter or jellies and the like get rinsed and go right into the recycling bag.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have seen replacement lids from Ball to replace the band and disc lid on open jars. I'm sure they are on Amazon if you search for them.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Jar fetish here. I have an arsenal of the blue mason jars with zinc lids from my grandmother, and I have the Le Parfait French canning jars. I also save jars from products that I use, if I like them.

There's a nocino bottle I like and it's the devil getting the label off but worth it. Makes an excellent infused liqueur gift bottle.

The current jones is for Trader Joe's olive oil. Comes in a squat square bottle, carries no odor. I'm going for one for every kind of oil and every kind of vinegar so I'll have a real OC set. They have a thick cork stopper. The olive oil itself is not the best, not the worst, cheap.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I save some jars, often it depends on my mood when the jar is emptied. For some reason I have taken to the squatty, wide jars in which some jams and jellies are sold.

Here are two candidates:

HPIM4067.JPG

I save any jar that will accept either the regular or wide mouth plastic lids made by Ball, Bernadin or Jarden.

I save a lot of bottles because I give away a lot of vinegar.

Any jar or bottle that has a wire bail and cap closure is fair game and some are quite attractive.

Odd shaped jars and bottles. I recently found a fish-shaped bottle (at Marshall's) that held some kind of sauce that I didn't want. It was 99¢ so I bought it, emptied the stuff down the drain and have a decorative bottle for less that a similar empty bottle would have cost ($2.99 at a local candle store).

I save the tall cylindrical jars in which some fancy olives are packed.

I do use the baking soda slurry after putting the jar and cap through the dishwasher.

For extremely resistant odors, a few drops of ammonia in the lid - lid sealed in small plastic bag (or in a small plastic sealable container) and left over night, usually does the trick.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Just a follow up on my previous post... Here are the lids I was referring to...

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I love glass in general so repurposing jars is a natural for me. I don't buy many items that come in glass anymore but my dad saves their jars for me. I don't like the plastic lids for aesthetic reasons, so mayo jars and the like are not saved. Salsa jars are discarded while pickle jars are allowed. The salsa smell is so distinct while the pickle smell is generally vinegary so I reuse them, as Jenni does, for pickled items.

However, I have never tried the baking soda paste mentioned earlier. I will give that a try. I had been soaking the lids in straight plain white vinegar and that generally takes care of odors.

Here is my jar drawer

DSCN0961.JPG

And here is a sampling of the repurposed jars in use

DSCN0964.JPG

My favorites are the several ones where the mouth is as wide as the base. These were from Trader Joe salsa and bean dips years ago. I am almost tempted to see if they still use them and pick up some even though I do not want the product. I also pick up the Ball jars with the zinc lids at flea markets. Though the blue ones are more coveted, I prefer clear.

The pickle smell is too resilient. Baking soda didn't do the trick. I think this jar is not a keeper.

The jars with plastic lids comment reminded me: Fluff jars. I have a large amount of Fluff jars because they say "Fluff" in the glass and have nice red plastic lids. I don't use them for food -- I use them for hardware and various art supplies.

They do have one drawback. Sometimes over time the jar lids disintegrate and come apart. This doesn't happen to all of them and has nothing to do with wear and tear. It just happens.

Shame. Because they are funny.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.