• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The "Top Ten" Liquor list

J.D.

I have a restaurant that is 18 yrs old which had a very small bar that had very little space to display our liquors.

We have just remodeled and have a tremendous amount of shelf space to display.

Can anyone provide a "top ten" list of the BEST liquors that a good bar should have ( or a web resource I should go to)

i.e. What are the 10 best / most popular Vodkas/ ten best Bourbons/ ten best tequilas, etc

thanks for your time!

Best in terms of popularity or quality? Your post leaves that bit unclear and I think it's significant. I assume you'd be aiming for a range of 'bottom shelf' to 'top shelf' spirits, tho'? I mean, on the vodka front (as an example--not intending to start fisticuffs with those who know vodka better than I do) you might want some Belvedere or Grey Goose as your nice vodkas and some, I don't know, Smirnoff red label or something as your cheaper vodka.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Hi J.D., and welcome to eGullet! Congrats on your restaurant's success. 18 years is quite an achievement, especially considering the struggles of the past few years.

Your question is rather difficult to answer. 'Best' is entirely subjective , and if you ask 10 people you might get 15 different answers. Are you looking for the bottles that will move the most volume, that represent the greatest perceived luxury, that are the most critically acclaimed, etc? Even if you can narrow down your definition of best, the bottles that make the list will probably be largely defined by the market you're serving. So if you can give us more details about the type of bar program you envision, we'll be better able to brainstorm some ideas.

Hi, and welcome to eGullet, J.D. Of course, Dave is right about the subjectiveness of the word "best," and if you ask 10 cocktailians here on eG as to their favorite bourbon, for example, you're liable to get 9 different answers.

That said, I did some scrolling through the Spirits & Cocktails forum, and found the following topics. It's a start for you, and there are many more topics to explore.

Scotch Whisky: The Topic

All About Rye Whiskey

Genever Holland Gin

Mezcal

Cognac, Brandy, Armagnac

Bourbon

Gin

Rum

Tequila

Vodka

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The overarching questions here are: (1) what do your customers want, and (2) what does your restaurant want to offer them? It's a little like asking what ten vegetables you want in your walk-in, or what ten spices or seasonings on the shelf.

So, in terms of beverage experiences, what do your customers want? And what does your restaurant want to offer them?

Or are you just looking for spirit eye candy?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I also think that asking for the "ten best [spirit category]" is unlikely to result in very useful information. If you stay below the "superpremium" price point (let's say $35/liter at retail) the choices are still quite limited and everyone is likely to agree for the most part.

For example, a list of the "top ten rye whiskies under $35" will surely include Rittenhouse Bonded, Old Overholt, Baby Sazerac, Wild Turkey, Bulleit Rye and possibly Jim Beam Rye... and that's about all there is for $35 or less.

For gin, every list is likely to include the standards: Tanqueray, Beefeater, and Plymouth. After that, some likely "most popular" suspects include Junipero, Boodles, Bombay and possibly Gordon's. But beyond those, there aren't many options below $35, there are likely to be a significant differences in opinion, and much of what is available will be "esoteric, conceptual gin" and won't fit the classic profile of a gin.

Bourbon is one category where there is quite a lot to choose from under $35 a bottle. I'd encourage anyone to look at the old brands like Old Grand Dad, and always to look for 100 proof or higher.

--

There aren't 10 total options for most categories where I live, much less a top 10. I couldn't even do a top 2 bourbon list from my local LCBO store because there is only one stocked... Jim Beam white label. I have to drive oven an hour one way for a few other options. It's a drive I gladly make when necessary.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Weinoo,

Your advice, as well as the other forum mangers made sense.

I will post my question again with some more specifics.

Thanks much for the links to other specific liquor topics!

J.D.

• 2 weeks later...

Bourbon is one category where there is quite a lot to choose from under $35 a bottle. I'd encourage anyone to look at the old brands like Old Grand Dad, and always to look for 100 proof or higher.

I happened to pick up a bottle of Old Grand Dad yesterday at one of my once-in-a-while stops off of I-95 at State Line, Maryland. I think it was about $12. It made a damn fine Boulevardier last night, as a matter of fact.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I happened to pick up a bottle of Old Grand Dad yesterday at one of my once-in-a-while stops off of I-95 at State Line, Maryland. I think it was about $12. It made a damn fine Boulevardier last night, as a matter of fact.

There was a time, for a little over a year, where I was able to arrange Old Grand-Dad BIB to be my well bourbon. Such a happy time.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

At a bar I like to see Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve, Tanqueray, Tanqueray 10, Bombay Sapphire, Jim Beam rye, Grey Goose, Cruzan rum.

Ahhhhhhhhh, Tanq, Makers Mark Tanq 10 and Jim Beam rye....

Elixers of the Gods. You're my kinda guy gfweb

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"