• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outrageous Ingredient Uses

xxchef

An article in Popular Science out today outlined some newly discovered, near-sci-fi uses for some common cooking ingredients like turmeric and cinnamon.

I've heard crazy stories about using Coca-Cola as a rust-buster, blood remover, engine cleaner etc (facts or urban myths?) since I was a kid.

What other outrageous applications for common ingredients are there?

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

Hah! All you have to do is glance through many women's magazines/beauty culture books, to find all sorts of alternate uses for kitchen ingredients.

Coffee grounds combined with brown sugar do, as claimed, make a decent, cheap skin exfoliant, if you don't mind the colossal mess in the shower, and picking coffee grounds from your hairline for the next day or so. Not certain that 'messy' is analagous to 'outrageous', however.

Also, according to a Japanese lab partner I once had, in Japan bathing in sake is believed to detoxify the skin, a vague claim which always makes me sceptical. However, regardless of whether or not it detoxifies, I can definitely state (scepticism being the mother of experiments, for me) that a bottle of cheap sake in a tubful of hot water will get you frighteningly smashed in no time flat (and removes soapy deposits form porcelain!).

I've also heard that peanut butter can be used to remove gum from hair and clothing... does anybody know whther this works?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I remember reading the ghost chili is being developed into tear gas hand grenades in India.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Baking soda as deodorizer.

The biggest scam ever.

Baking soda definitely works as a deodorizer. What are you doing wrong? Snorting it?

:unsure:

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

As the former director of a preschool, I can tell you that vegetable oil works the best for getting gum (or silly putty) out of hair. We were a peanut free facility so I can't speak to the peanut butter. I'll get back to you when my own kids are old enough to chew gum, I'm reasonably sure it will come up.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

The biggest scam ever.

Baking soda definitely works as a deodorizer. What are you doing wrong? Snorting it?

You can "deodorize" by masking with another scent. Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) cannot.

You can deodorize by absorption of air molecules, such as activated charcoal; Sodium bicarbonate has no ability to absorb.

It can, however, possibly deodorize stinky shoes by direct application to neutralize the offending source if it is of acid based.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

From time to time, I buy Nescafé instant coffee (yes, I know I shouldn't). When the jars are empty, I find the jars useful as storage containers. I wash them with hot soapy water, rinse them carefully, then dry them in the sun.

They still smell bad. Fill them up with with water and baking soda, leave overnight, then dry and there is no discernible smell.

I'm sorry, but your pseudo-scientific, self contradictory refutation doesn't quite cut the mustard.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The biggest scam ever.

You can "deodorize" by masking with another scent. Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) cannot.

You can deodorize by absorption of air molecules, such as activated charcoal; Sodium bicarbonate has no ability to absorb.

It can, however, possibly deodorize stinky shoes by direct application to neutralize the offending source if it is of acid based.

dcarch

There was a discussion in CI about the effectiveness of baking soda paste on cutting boards that smelled of onion/garlic. That is, they actually experimented, and found it effective for this purpose (I have no recollection of the mechanism involved, but I believe they described it, at least in general outline). I'm quailing at the thought of looking thought several dozen issues of CI, but I can look it out, if you want..?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

That is entirely possible. Sodium bicarbonate is chemically basic, and it can neutralize acidic chemicals, or react and alter other chemicals, rendering them less odious. But that is not deodorizing the air.

dcarch

That is entirely possible. Sodium bicarbonate is chemically basic, and it can neutralize acidic chemicals, or react and alter other chemicals, rendering them less odious. But that is not deodorizing the air.

dcarch

Yep... what I said (and had a massive fight with my mother about, a week ago) at the top, the 'box-in-the-fridge' thing is a no-go. But I'd bet its sells the majority of boxes of baking soda!

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I remember reading the ghost chili is being developed into tear gas hand grenades in India.

Interesting. I've got a pack those of seeds just starting to sprout under my lamps. I'll be making hot sauce not weapons.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Hah! All you have to do is glance through many women's magazines/beauty culture books, to find all sorts of alternate uses for kitchen ingredients.

I've also heard that peanut butter can be used to remove gum from hair and clothing... does anybody know whther this works?

I tried it once (my kids seemed to have a severe problem with controlling bubble gum) but the resulting mess was also a pain to clean.

I then began using Avon's Skin-So-Soft bath oil. Much easier to apply and to clean up.

I use cornstarch to take grease out of the carpet and to "extract" residual spilled liquids from carpet after the use of a wet/dry vac.

If you have only one spice grinder - and use it for coffee or other oily material - you can clean and deodorize it with the following procedure.

Put three tablespoons or so of baking soda in the spice grinder.

Add 4 or 5 broken saltine crackers - you can also use rice.

Put the lid on and start the grinder - invert it (holding the top on firmly) several times.

Dump out the stuff, wipe it with a dry paper towel and check. If you have used it for a long time for grinding coffee beans, you may have to repeat this procedure but it will clean the grinder without using water and will remove all traces of the oils that tend to build up around the base of the grinder blades.

I used this method for years before I decided that since these grinders were so small and so cheap, I could have dedicated ones for each type of product.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett