• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Idea for Heating Table for Sugar Candies

minas6907

Hey Everyone.

I had a thought when I was talking to a friend about making pulled sugar candies. My hang up for never attempting this is basically not having a method for keeping the candy warm. But I was thinking, what if I used the back of my griddle (which looks alot like this: http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L9OG3-Pre-Seasoned-2-Inch-Griddle/dp/B00008GKDN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1299991286&sr=8-3 ) with a silpat, and kept it over a very very low flame? Like I've said, I've never done anything with pulled sugar, I'm only looking to make simple striped candies, like peppermints, that really is it, no spectacular show pieces, just some candy. I figured the thick metal would be enough to warm the log while I'm working from it. Any comments?

Sounds like an idea to me which brings up another. What about putting a silpat/silicon mat on a Salton tray, the kind which my Mother used to use when giving a dinner party to keep stuff warm?

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

When I took a sugarworks sculpture course we used a metal clamp lamp and put in a heat lamp....We clamped it onto a shelf above our work area and worked on a marble slab covered with a silpat.

You could try the flame idea but I would think a heat lamp rigged up would be safer...I think the metal clamp lamp was $10 and the heat light bulb was around $15....Just be careful on where you clamp it to as the lamp will get hot to the touch and you could burn yourself (Figured that out after my first day in class!)

We also went through a lot of surgical disposable gloves when handling the hot sugar....But what a fun class.....Never tried pulled sugar but many of the techniques we used were similar...

Try out a few ways and you will figure out what works best in your kitchen! Love to see how it turns out!

I agree with Darienne.

I have a couple of the extra large Salton Hot Trays that I have had for many years. I used them with just waxed paper before the advent of Silpat and with some I just poured the candy right onto the warmed glass.

Some have a sort of pebbly surface to which the candy really doesn't stick easily.

I used to use them when I was catering, when making pulled sugar decorations.

Some have a "hot spot" that is warmer than the rest of the surface but many have even heat across the entire expanse.

As long as you don't drop a heavy fondue pot on it :shock: , they don't easily break.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hey, thanks for all the replies!

A griddle was my original idea. At home I use these black steel pans ( http://www.amazon.com/Matfer-Bourgeat-Black-Steel-Frying/dp/B000KEJQRO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1300048863&sr=8-7 ) and while I was speaking to a friend, I remembered that the restaurant supply place down town San Diego carries a large griddle made to fit over burners made out of the same material, so originally I wanted to pick one of those up and cover it with a silpat (I dont know if anyone has ever seen Food Networks "Kid in a Candy Store" but they showed a candy show in Manhattan that pretty much had a large flat warming plate covered with a silicone mat that they would use for all their sugar work, so I'm trying to emulate that, but only much more crude!) I dont think the purchase of the heavy plate would be worth it for me, so I was trying to see if the back of any of my pans would do the trick.

Anyways, when I get some time, I'll give it a shot, hopefully I'll be able to post pictures of wonderful peppermint candies soon! Otherwise, for me I think the light bulb would be the next step. Can you tell me, Beth Wilson, what kind of bulb would I purchase?

A griddle was my original idea. At home I use these black steel pans ( http://www.amazon.com/Matfer-Bourgeat-Black-Steel-Frying/dp/B000KEJQRO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1300048863&sr=8-7 ) and while I was speaking to a friend, I remembered that the restaurant supply place down town San Diego carries a large griddle made to fit over burners made out of the same material, so originally I wanted to pick one of those up and cover it with a silpat (I dont know if anyone has ever seen Food Networks "Kid in a Candy Store" but they showed a candy show in Manhattan that pretty much had a large flat warming plate covered with a silicone mat that they would use for all their sugar work, so I'm trying to emulate that, but only much more crude!) I dont think the purchase of the heavy plate would be worth it for me, so I was trying to see if the back of any of my pans would do the trick.

Anyways, when I get some time, I'll give it a shot, hopefully I'll be able to post pictures of wonderful peppermint candies soon! Otherwise, for me I think the light bulb would be the next step. Can you tell me, Beth Wilson, what kind of bulb would I purchase?

You should be able to find a Smart & Final around San Diego. They have the heat lamps made for food service

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I got a nice one from Pets Mart..look in their section for reptile heater bulbs..I clamp one on the hood when I bake bread and direct it at the rising bread, makes for better rises on cold winter days

Bud

Hey Everyone

So I actually had some time today to make a small batch of candy. I tried my ingenious griddle idea to find out that it didn't really work very smoothly, haha. I didn't have any coloring/peppermint flavor (While I'm here, can I ask someone, to flavor with peppermint, I assume I would have to use a peppermint oil, is this found in common grocery stores? If not, what are some other flavoring agent I could use in hard candy? Thanks :-) ) so I just tried to get a feel for working with the sugar (which I did on my thumb, hehe). I tried microwaving a small piece of sugar to maintain its temp, but that turned out to too well, I seemed to over heat the candy. Anyways, back to the griddle, I think I may have had the heat on a little too high, the bottom started melting, it just didn't seem to do very well on maintaining an even temperature. What worked best for me was putting the candy in and out of a 300 degree oven (which may have still been too hot) and at least then I was able to kinda get somewhere. I didn't know what to do with the sugar, but after I tasted it I got an idea. The candy tasted just like a bag of sugar candy I got from an Arabic market, it was just a sugar candy with cardamom seeds mixed into it. So I remembered I had a bag of whole anise seeds, I just tossed some on top and started pulling to distribute them and rolled and cut, so I got a lovely (sorta) anise flavored hard candy. I'll have to play more with it definitely. Can someone tell me though, I used the formula in Chocolates and Confections, but I did not include any cream of tartar (which was listed as optional) Is there a big difference in including it? Thanks for all the help everyone.

Anise Candy.JPG

I don't make sugar candy much these days but where I live the lamps are EXPENSIVE, so I used a double boiler. I know, I know, I was worried about water and the steam affecting the batch but I never had a problem. I worked with two colors by using two different double boilers. If the candy got to cool to work with, back in the pot and I'd pull another piece off the warming mass. I worked for me.

I do like your griddle idea, I wonder if you you might not be able to put an inverted square cake pan on top of the griddle and your candy on that for better heat distribution.

Keep us posted. Sounds like fun. BTW, I get my oils from LorAnne Oils.

Hmmm, I like that idea with the square cake pan, I do have a half sized hotel pan which should work perfect and this way I wont get rust on the silpat from the back of the griddle. I've only done this once, and I know there's a few things I see I need to improve on. Firstly, I will include the cream of tartar next time, but also I was looking in Chocolates and Confections, and in the problems and remedies section on hard candy, I saw a problem I was having, which was the sugar was crystallizing during work. So next time I guess I should clean the sides of the pan (I really wasn't worried about it this time, I was just playing around trying to get a feel) Anyways, hopefully next time it will go a bit better.

cteavin, when you were working with the double boilers, would you have to like turn the pieces every now and then to prevent uneven heating? I think I was having a problem with the top of the sugar lump hardening, while the bottom was getting a little too warm, because I didnt clean the sides of the pot or anything. Anywho, I did enjoy it, and I look forward to doing it again. Hopefully I will update with beautiful candies!

Also, I have been doing some searching around, but is there any guides anyone can recommend for beginners?

Edited by minas6907 (log)

Hey Everyone. Heres a quick update. Today I made some striped pulled sugar, and it was much easier then I thought! I made the sugar properly this time, washing down the side of the pan and adding the cream of tartar, and it was SO much easier to handle! I got some very thick gloves, and put a pair of latex on over those (the texture of the thick gloves was not smooth, so I put the latex on just as a precaution) Pulling the sugar went so much smoother, and was very enjoyable. I didnt flavor the candy, I just made it to try it out. As for a warming table, I just used my griddle on an extremely low heat with a silpat over it, and it worked fine. I did have to turn the burner off and on every now and then, but I think it worked pretty well considering I didnt have to purchase any additional equipment.

So I just made a lollipop and some candies using the shears. If you do notice, the little pile of candies to the left, I made by making a rope, letting it harden, and with my chefs knife on the edge of the butcher block, I cut them, like this video:

So that way of cutting candy opens up the door for designs inside each piece. Anyway, just a small update, I'll post again with I make something else.

Hard Candy.JPG