• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Extract

merstar

Does Chocolate Extract boost the flavor in chocolate baked goods? I usually add a little instant espresso to kick up the chocolate flavor, but was wondering if the extract works in a similar way.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Chocolate extract? Never heard of it.

Granted, there might be soem cheap imitation form of it, but chocoalte, like wine, is very hard to imitate, and any extract form will taste one dimensional and "not right"

You can boost chocolate flavour with cocoa mass, a.k.a cocoa liquor, which is the whole cooca bean roasted and ground up, un-cut/unadulterated with sugar.

I used chocolate imitations before and they have this reallie faux chocolate smell to it and they sort of taste unpleasant. But mind me, the one I bought was some cheap stuff, I've never seen a good high quality chocolate extract before.

I used chocolate imitations before and they have this reallie faux chocolate smell to it and they sort of taste unpleasant. But mind me, the one I bought was some cheap stuff, I've never seen a good high quality chocolate extract before.

The one I've been considering is by Nielsen Massey:

http://www.nielsenmassey.com/vanillainformation.htm

Edited by merstar (log)

I have used it and I don't think much of it as a booster (i.e., with chocolate), but sometimes I use it to add a round chocolate note to something non-chocolate, sort of like using vanilla extract.

Thanks, Janeer, this is exactly the information I need.

We have purchased both artificial and pure chocolate extract. Have never really given it a thought because it's used in frozen coffees in the summer, along with vanilla, coffee, sugar (substitute), creamm ice cubes, and whatever liquor and liqueur we have on hand.

I'll think about it now.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

What are you thinking of using it for? I always think that even if it's a natural or high quality flavour/extract that the farther you get away from the original ingredient, the less it tastes like it. ie. natural raspberry flavour doesn't really taste like raspberries. If we knew what you are making we could maybe help you think of other ways to boost the flavour.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

What are you thinking of using it for? I always think that even if it's a natural or high quality flavour/extract that the farther you get away from the original ingredient, the less it tastes like it. ie. natural raspberry flavour doesn't really taste like raspberries. If we knew what you are making we could maybe help you think of other ways to boost the flavour.

It's not for a specific recipe - I was just checking in general. Thanks.

The one I've been considering is by Nielsen Massey:

http://www.nielsenmassey.com/vanillainformation.htm

I have Star Kay White's

They have been around a while.

I've used the Nielsen Massey in mousses and I like it. I haven't tried it in cakes or other baked goods.

And i've used it in the batter for choc chip muffins. I thought it took away from the final product, instead of enhancing it, but i used it equal to the vanilla and I think it was too much bitterness....not smooth at all. Better perhaps in whipped creams, icecreams etc. Coffee?