• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg cups for jumbo eggs

Fat Guy

I made a soft-boiled egg for breakfast. It was a jumbo egg. Our collection of egg cups, consisting of one egg cup, did not accommodate a jumbo egg -- it was clearly sized for a large egg. I tried a shot glass but that didn't work either.

Are there egg cups for jumbo eggs, or is there another kind of dish that can do double duty as an egg cup, or should I just stick to large eggs for soft boiling?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

There are double egg cups that you flip over that will hold a larger egg on one side and smaller on the other.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

If there is a Crate & Barrel close to you check for these.

I have some and the ones I have fit jumbo eggs.

Fantes has some The stainless ones are shorter and will hold the small end of a jumbo egg.

They are at least unbreakable - perhaps nice to have for a child's use.

Ikea used to have some that were similar but I did not see them the last time I went down to the Burbank store.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

How is this for multi-functional? A double egg cup AND napkin ring: http://www.amazon.com/Arzberg-Office-Black-Napkin-Rings/dp/B000ZMKUAS

If you are having problems finding the right size egg cup off the shelf, there are quite a few vendors/potters on places such as etsy that could custom make you jumbo egg sized cups.

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

How about going Japanese and with your nimble fingers, shell the egg on to a piece of toast. :rolleyes:

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.