• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Throwdown with Bobby Flay - BBQ ribs episode

Tim Dolan

I caught a rerun of the ribs episode of Throwdown where Mr. Flay goes up against Ed Mitchell of North Carolina. Bobby gives his ribs a 6 or 7 hour smoke, keeping with the low-and-slow gospel that so many people are accustomed to. To my surprise, Ed Mitchell put a dry rub on his ribs and then grilled them "for about 20 minutes or so on each side", his words.

The only thing I know about barbeque is that I like to eat it. I don't pretend to know much else other than that, but this seems to be heresy to the low-and-slow mantra. Does anyone share (or care to disagree with) Mr. Mitchell's philosphy when it comes to ribs?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Ed Mitchell won. If I recall correctly, the judges mentioned Ed's ribs as having a more "North Carolina style" flavor. So maybe that method of cooking ribs is typical.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

It depends for me what kind of texture and flavor I want at the time. Sometimes you want a chewy, meat on the bone, grill flavor and sometimes you want a fall off the bone, smoky, tender feel.

Personally I go for a little of both by smoking for about an hour, wrapped for an hour and then a quick grill. Has smoke, stays on the bone so you can dip, and a nice char.

The last time we did a competition, the team next to us used a hot smoke technique. They cooked everything at about 400 to 425. Some teams have started to go with this in the last few years. We were mostly talking about brisket, but they said same goes for pork shoulder and ribs. They said, "its a big steak, cook the thing like a steak". They beat us that week, and won Grand Champion the week before.

I'm not converted, but it works well for them. And their barbecue sure tasted good to me.

BTW, if ribs "fall off the bone" they're overcooked.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

BTW, if ribs "fall off the bone" they're overcooked.

I'm not sure if I would agree with this. Although I think 'comes cleanly off the bone' is a better rib experience, if I'm at a table, I wouldn't have any problem with 'falling off the bone'. It is certainly much better than still clinging to the bone.

I went to a place in Illinois that Bon Appetit chose as their best ribs in America one year. The were the best I'd ever had, but I didn't really care for the much vaunted 'bark'. To me, it's blackened shoe leather. But under that was wonderfully pink, tender, flavorful porky goodness.

So I think if you can get the job done without drying the outside for so long, it could be a good thing.