• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When TV comes to your restaurant

Fat Guy

I saw an article last week in the New York Times Connecticut section that I thought I'd bring to your attention -- I'd have missed it if I hadn't been visiting relatives there. "When TV Makes Your Diner Shine." It's about the impact that Guy Fieri's show has had on several Connecticut diner-type places. The impact is huge.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

“What could be bad about that?”

Fad chasers replace loyal customers and then eventually move on to the next thing. At that point, the restaurant is worse off than before. One can only hope that they haven't refinanced their mortgage to add an addition or brought on additional and/or more expensive help/ingredients while temporarily flush with extra cash.

We have a name for exactly that phenomenon here in Chicago, it's called the "Check, Please Effect" (after a popular PBS restaurant review show). And, it's been the cause of more than one cherished spot closing its doors. There's some truth to that Yogi-ism, "No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

From my very small sample pool I have several acquaintances that are now intent on seeking out diner style, non chain restaurants as a result of the show; not just ones that he showcases.

I guess it also depends on how busy you were before the TV showed up. If you had a good business with lots of regular customers, then other than a temporary spike in business, how bad could it be?

Of course, if the temporary spike in business leads to your loyal customers not being able to get in and eat your hash browns, then you've got a problem.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

They were just in yesterday - National New England Clam Chowder Day. This was for the local TV station's morning news/variety program.

Clam Chowder on the Go!

That's me in the background setting up the bar. :blush:

Remains to be seen how it effects business, but we did sell about 16 gallons of clam chowder yesterday. It's been a busy week since Monday-Friday this week and next are Restaurant Week, and we've been busy as a result of that too. I did have a few customers at the bar say they came in because they saw the segment in the morning. So apparently it does have a pretty immediate effect...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I think morning news/variety programs appeal to a certain audience. In my experience that tends to be stay at home moms, retirees, etc. Everyone else is out earning a living at 11am, no?

But if it got a few of them into the restaurant, their money is just as green as anyone else's, and they talk to their friends and recommend places too, so there's nothing wrong with that.

Glad I could be entertaining, even peripherally. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Certainly not a new phenomenon with Guy Fieri. Before him, Food Network had Rachael Ray running around eating for "$40 a Day". Also, not limited to TV, either. A newspaper story or magazine story can really put an unknown place on the map.

KD1191 makes a good point about what comes after that. Will the attention bring a short term influx of people that will be misread by the owners? Does it drive off people who always knew about the place, but now don't want to deal with crowds? In any case, I bet it's a bit of a double edged sword in a lot of cases.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"