• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pot De Creme

bolero

I've tried making various flavors of pot de creme a few times now and keep running into the same problem which is that the final product always has a thin layer of crust on the top. The way I usually make it is by heating heavy cream, adding flavoring agents and sugar and then tempering egg yolks. Then I divide the entire mixture between ramekins, put them in a baking pan and fill the pan up half way with water. The entire thing goes into a 350 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes or so. Pretty basic right? I'm thinking that the crust that forms is due to overcooked eggs but wanted to know if anybody here knew for sure and also had a solution for how to avoid this.

Thanks in advance.

My thoughts, wrap your baking tray in plastic wrap. You'll have to lower the temperature and figure out the baking time but I would guess the crust you get is from the direct dry heat of the oven. Plastic wrap will keep that moisture in but at the same time too high a temperature and the eggs will cook to quickly. Good luck!

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Another thought is to check whether you have any bubbles on the surface of the pots when they go into the oven. The bubbles can dry out causing an unpleasant texture. A good way to get rid of them is with a quick pass of a blow torch before cooking.

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

I think your oven temp is too high for pots de creme.

I bake mine at 300 and I use a water bath and just place a sheet pan on top of the ramekins or the custard cups that I usually use. Bake for 30 minutes then check one to see if the center still jiggles slightly - at that point they are done because they will continue setting after removing from the oven.

Foil may produce condensation and water drops onto the tops, which cause little dimples in the surface.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have always covered the pots lightly with foil in order to prevent the crust and it has always worked well, however I think I will try a sheet pan, next time - it is easier and not so fiddly. I don't recall pock marks and I have made hundreds over the years. I'd keep the water bath though to keep the texture silky. I agree the oven temperature should be lower.