• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coconut Dough?

RobertM

You could try this...

5 oz Sweetened condensed milk

1 ts Vanilla

2 c Powdered sugar

14 oz Premium shredded or flaked coconut

Beat the condensed milk, sugar and vanilla together to a frosting-like consistency, then add the coconut. Will firm up if chilled.

Of course I would make more...I just use the whole can of condensed milk and add more vanilla and powdered sugar until it feels right, then I mix in however much coconut I feel like having in there. Not really an exact science in my kitchen. You can also sub nuts for part or all of the coconut.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Thanks Chris - those look fabulous. I have a bunch of dessicated coconut that I wanted to try - and now, I have a starting point -

Thanks to you too Badiane - I'll be working with your suggestion as well.

I have a huge show I'm getting ready for (10/1, 2 and 3) - and I need something to plan for and test my skills after that - and, I think I've found the next thing to play with....

I don't know what a Mounds bar is but in Australia we have something called a Bounty which may be similar... just a coconut filling in dark chocolate. What I like about the bounty bar, at least, is that the filling isn't too chewy - it's very moist, but not sticky and sweet in the caramel-y way, which I think might happen with condensed milk. I wonder about using coconut milk as the liquid instead... would enhance the flavour and give you more flexibility with sweetness, I think?

CHEWY COCONUT CENTERS

1/2 cup light corn syrup

12 large marshmallows

1 3/4 cups coconut

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 teaspoon almond extract

In a heavy 2-quart pot, combine corn syrup and marshmallows. Place over medium heat and stir until marshmallows are melted. Stir in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Butter hands and shape into small ovals. Flatten slightly and dip in tempered chocolate. Makes about 50 pieces.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I don't know what a Mounds bar is but in Australia we have something called a Bounty which may be similar... just a coconut filling in dark chocolate. What I like about the bounty bar, at least, is that the filling isn't too chewy - it's very moist, but not sticky and sweet in the caramel-y way, which I think might happen with condensed milk. I wonder about using coconut milk as the liquid instead... would enhance the flavour and give you more flexibility with sweetness, I think?

I would say that a Bounty is very much the same thing as a Mounds bar - the companion piece to a Mounds Bar is an Almond Joy - the same center (Coconut) topped with an Almond and dipped in milk chocolate -

CHEWY COCONUT CENTERS

1/2 cup light corn syrup

12 large marshmallows

1 3/4 cups coconut

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 teaspoon almond extract

In a heavy 2-quart pot, combine corn syrup and marshmallows. Place over medium heat and stir until marshmallows are melted. Stir in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Butter hands and shape into small ovals. Flatten slightly and dip in tempered chocolate. Makes about 50 pieces.

These sound yummy - I'm going to have some fun in the test kitchens next weekend - THANK YOU

You could try this...

5 oz Sweetened condensed milk

1 ts Vanilla

2 c Powdered sugar

14 oz Premium shredded or flaked coconut

Beat the condensed milk, sugar and vanilla together to a frosting-like consistency, then add the coconut. Will firm up if chilled.

Of course I would make more...I just use the whole can of condensed milk and add more vanilla and powdered sugar until it feels right, then I mix in however much coconut I feel like having in there. Not really an exact science in my kitchen. You can also sub nuts for part or all of the coconut.

c

This is very close to a recipe someone gave me in the '70s; I haven't made it in ages so I will just repeat what I have written down:

1 stick butter

1 can sweetened condensed milk

2 boxes 10x (this would be 1 lb boxes)

1 can flaked coconut (probably 14 or 15 oz sweetened coconut)

1/4 c chopped pecans

Melt butter, add condensed milk; stir in sugar and salt. add coconut and pecans. Chill until it can be shaped for coating.

This is a fairly soft filling for a molded bonbon, but you could adjust the liquid and make a dip-able center.

300 g boiron coconut puree

25 g glucose syrup

490 g white chocolate couverture

60 g cocoa butter

25 g invert sugar

100 g unsweetened dessicated coconut, toast if desired

Heat coconut puree and glucose, pour over white chocolate and cocoa butter. Add invert sugar and coconut.