• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sliced Roasted Potatoes

Porthos

Can sliced potatoes be roasted, refrigerated, then reheated and still be crunchy? We talking enough potatoes for 300 servings.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I think I would do an experiment on, say, one or two servings and see how they come out.

One method would be to par-cook the potatoes. Slice, blanch till barely done in heavily salted water, shock, dry and then roast in a hot oven - toss potatoes in a decent amount of oil or melted butter to ensure crispiness. Try Yukon golds or red bliss.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Some of the answer depends on the potato variety. Waxy types will work better than mealy types.

The reheat will have to involve high temperatures and low moisture, such as a quick saute.

They lose the crispness when refrigerated, so just warming on a steam table won't re-crisp them. The only potatoes that remain crisp when cold are those that have no moisture left in them, in other words, potato chips.