• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New tortilla press

Pierogi

I just got a brand new tortilla press as a birthday prezzie ! YAY, me. It seems to be a really good one, not cast aluminum, but cast iron that has a hot-tinned coating (the thing weighs a TON).

It seems to be covered in some industrial lubricant that was probably a remnant of the machining process. It’s clear on the press, but has darkened the box where it’s seeped into the cardboard. I’ve soaked the thing in hot water with an excess of hand dishwashing detergent (Dawn, which in my experience cuts grease really well), and then scrubbed it with a brush.

My fingers still feel sticky after handling it, even after a 2-hour soak in near boiling water, and a thorough scrub.

I’m reticent to put it in the dishwasher, although I feel that will cut the grease coating. I know the tortillas will be encased in a plastic bag when I press them, but just handling the thing leaves me with sticky fingers, like touching a griddle that’s been heated too long with low flashpoint oil.

As I said, it’s cast iron, with a “hot-tinned” coating. The brand is “Victoria”, imported from Columbia. Can I run it through the dishwasher to get the slime off, understanding that the dishwasher experience will be a one-off? Subsequent cleanings, assuming the slime DOES come off, will obviously be by hand.

Thanks in advance...

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I use hand lotion to remove any sticky stuff. If it has lanolin in it - even better. The old version of Eucerin with lanolin was absolutely the best for getting off labels and anything sticky associated with them. I still have one of the old bottles in my kitchen.

I don't know that I'd run it through the dishwasher. When I got my press, which sound quite similar to yours, I first scrubbed it thoroughly with a brillo pad (or I might have used bon ami with a scrubbie) and then I oiled it and placed it into a 300 degree oven on the rack over a sheet of aluminum foil. left it in for a few hours and it was good to go...basically, since it's cast iron it will benefit by being seasoned.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I use hand lotion to remove any sticky stuff.

I'd say make sure it's unscented hand lotion. A friend's old girlfriend cleaned their stainless-steel french press with scented hand soap, and two years later the coffee still tastes like lavender and emollients..not in a nice way.

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

A citric based cleaner seems like a good idea.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Mitch, is that still true for "tinned" cast iron?

Hmmm. I did it on mine with no apparent ill effect.

I don't have the box any more, but are there care instructions located somewhere on the box?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

...I don't have the box any more, but are there care instructions located somewhere on the box?

Nope, and there was no little leaflet in the box either. Just a rough (and very roughly translated :laugh: ) image and description of how to use it.

After drying, the long, hot soak seems to have gotten off most of the sticky residue. I'll give the Cascade-in-the-sink a try, and if that doesn't work find some citric acid cleaner. Thanks all for the help.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"