• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me with my pork rinds

chef koo

So I bought some pig skin and tried my hands at pork rinds. I took one sheet and divided it into 3 sections which I cut into 1 inch squares. I left one fresh. One was dried, and the last one was simmered until tender, and then dried. I cooked all 3 at different temperatures. The highest temperature on the stove was a failure. They turned out rubbery. I tried cooking them at 350. This helped a bit. They turned out more bubbly but it wasn't close to the fluffiness I associate with pork rinds. Anybody have any hints?

bork bork bork

Don't know if this will help, but I've had success by cooking rinds slowly in the oven (120C or 4-5 hours) then turning on the top grill element full blast.

The skins then bubble up very quickly. You have to watch them like a hawk to prevent scorching.

I simmered the belly a couple of hours with onion, garlic and salt/pepper. Then sliced up fried them twice. I didn't make note of the temperature - but I suspect it was about 'until a chopstick bubbles gently'.

I have noticed the ingredients on my favourite purchased ones list pineapple juice.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I did mine in the slow cooker and they were nice and crunchy. But too much fat remained in the result.

So I cooked them some more in water...which I should have done from the start. Then the pork rinds were soggy and yucky.

Then I simply put them in the frying pan for an additional period, and voila, they were crunchy again.

The dogs think they have died and gone to heaven with this new treat!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks. I figured it out. Simmer the pig skins for about an hour or until they're completely soft. Lay the skin side down and the fat side up. using a spoon scrape off all the fat. This is what the problem was. I left the fat on. After you scraped off all the fat, dry them overnight, cut them, then fry at 400 degrees for about 30 secs.

bork bork bork

The key is to have the skin dry. I love the idea of a dehydrator :) traditionally salt is used. After cooking the skin, in a braise or whatever, I salt it and press it to get all the moisture out.

I've posted a similar picture to this in a previous thread but can't help myself. Though not technically 'rind', the photo below shows the result of pressing and salting, then grilling pork skin.

20071125_214652.JPG