• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch at Assagio's in Branford, CT

Scargo

I can recommended this Italian restaurant. Smallish, nice ambiance with some Northern Italian food.

A little towards being expensive, but we thought lunch was excellent. Only three tables served on this Monday. Nice front sun room area. Linen tablecloths. Music that was unobtrusive.

Not a huge wine list, but adequate with some range of quality/price.

Mussels with beans, garlic, oregano and a little heat was delicious. Wild salmon w.risotto was excellent. The salmon was well done; over-cooked for my liking since I would have liked it somewhat rare or medium rare, but I did not mention this).

House salads were quite good, and not ordinary, with pecans and goat cheese and an unusual dressing I couldn't quite put my finger on. The grilled chicken with penne was quite good with the chicken moist and flavorful. They make their gnocchi, but we did not try it.

Excellent service from a professional young lady.

I would go back anytime, but might not make a special trip from N-W New Haven when there is so much good stuff right there in or near downtown. The plus is, it is not downtown. They have outdoor seating, too. I don't know how busy Montowese is at night, but I doubt it is bad.

11:45AM-2PM for lunch. Dinner hours?

Closed on Saturdays only.

Assagio's in Branford, CT

168 Montowese St

Branford, CT 06405

(203) 483-5426

If you're not wanting Italian try Le Petite Cafe for great French or Darbar for Indian. All within a block or two of each other on Montowese, in Branford.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...