• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving for Food

Judiu.... I have an online job. And before the internet.... I just worked for various companies that had locations in lots of states. The internet though is whats freed me to go and live ANYWHERE.

The trick of all this is to live lean. You dont need alot of money.... you just have to learn how to travel light.

Some people have families and friends they dont want to leave behind..... I dont.... and I dont own loads of stuff...and i dont owe anybody anything. Ya have to have alot of nothin to be free.

(unless of course... you are rich... then ANYONE can do what they like)

Anyway....I am always up for the adventure.

My internet job makes it easy for me. So? why not just get up and go LOL

Edited by SpaghettiWestern (log)

The trick of all this is to live lean. You dont need alot of money.... you just have to learn how to travel light.

Some people have families and friends they dont want to leave behind..... I dont.... and I dont own loads of stuff...and i dont owe anybody anything. Ya have to have alot of nothin to be free.

Well, I agree with this, and certainly my collection of kitchen equipment is evidence that I own lots of nothing - one downside of moving frequently for the food is that while you do get to sample a wide range or regional food, you do sacrifice a little in the way of things like permanent vegetable gardens, expensive unitasker equipment like ice cream makers and similar.

I've had to compromise on the sorts of foods and cuisines I could explore, too, as where I live comes without Western necessities like ovens. So I've had to shelve my ambitions to explore sourdough breads, and I only look at books like The Perfect Scoop and sigh.

Well, I agree with this, and certainly my collection of kitchen equipment is evidence that I own lots of nothing - one downside of moving frequently for the food is that while you do get to sample a wide range or regional food, you do sacrifice a little in the way of things like permanent vegetable gardens, expensive unitasker equipment like ice cream makers and similar.

I've had to compromise on the sorts of foods and cuisines I could explore, too, as where I live comes without Western necessities like ovens. So I've had to shelve my ambitions to explore sourdough breads, and I only look at books like The Perfect Scoop and sigh.

Yes... I think if you are a cook and you want things like a veg. garden. you have to make choices about how mobile you want to be. If I was much of a cook and wanted to garden I wouldnt be able to move around as much because I would want to keep sources as well as my garden.

But.... since I am a generally a lousy cook I CAN let that part go. but..... I dont see why you couldnt take an ice cream maker with you. If I adored ice cream tha much. I would damn well be draggin that ice cream maker along with me. LOL

I guess its all about choices.

I have moved for food...more than once. And I am on a continuous journey in search of good food producers - farmers, bakers, beekeepers, fishers, chefs...the whole good food chain. I have never been rich (usually closer to the opposite) but if I have a kitchen full of good organic olive oil, fresh produce from my wonderful friends and neighbors and wild oregano, I feel very rich indeed. Good food is a major priority for me (I'm not talking about fancy food, just a tomato or cucumber with flavor makes my day). So I've determined over the years that it's best for me to live closer to my favorite food sources, whenever possible.2007-09-11_18-50-37_0046_Small_.jpg

Nikki Rose

Founder and Director

Crete's Culinary Sanctuaries

Eco-Agritourism Network

www.cookingincrete.com

I have moved for food...more than once. And I am on a continuous journey in search of good food producers - farmers, bakers, beekeepers, fishers, chefs...the whole good food chain. I have never been rich (usually closer to the opposite) but if I have a kitchen full of good organic olive oil, fresh produce from my wonderful friends and neighbors and wild oregano, I feel very rich indeed. Good food is a major priority for me (I'm not talking about fancy food, just a tomato or cucumber with flavor makes my day). So I've determined over the years that it's best for me to live closer to my favorite food sources, whenever possible.2007-09-11_18-50-37_0046_Small_.jpg

Hey Nikki great pic.... and i like your website too. I once spent a year in Greece traveling around and eating the wonderful foods there. I have found memories of cold goats milk yogurt on those hot Greek afternoons.

Definitely one of my favourite places. YUM !

I have moved for food...more than once. And I am on a continuous journey in search of good food producers - farmers, bakers, beekeepers, fishers, chefs...the whole good food chain. I have never been rich (usually closer to the opposite) but if I have a kitchen full of good organic olive oil, fresh produce from my wonderful friends and neighbors and wild oregano, I feel very rich indeed. Good food is a major priority for me (I'm not talking about fancy food, just a tomato or cucumber with flavor makes my day). So I've determined over the years that it's best for me to live closer to my favorite food sources, whenever possible.

When I return to Canada, more and more I'm shocked at the poor quality and variety of vegetables and meats available in my hometown. It seems like everything comes pre-cut and pre-washed in a plastic bag. There's a farmer's market that turns out some very nice produce in season, but the rest of the year, the Canadian climate works against that kind of bounty. That's why I'm so happy in Asia...it seems like I could try a new ingredient every day and never get tired. And here, vegetables are grown for their flavour and freshness, not their ability to traverse large distances and stay fresh-looking on a shelf. I know what you mean about not being rich...but I can feed myself as if I was shopping at Whole Foods as a matter of course here, for a fraction of the cost.

After travelling to France and Italy, my wife and I are now planning a move overseas. Once she has completed her Ph.D and I've finished uni, we are going to move. We absolutely adored Paris, but my wife's field has a research facility in Lyon which would be one of life's great tragedies. LOL! Italy was great too, so if we decide to just work around taking in sights...

I have moved for food...more than once. And I am on a continuous journey in search of good food producers - farmers, bakers, beekeepers, fishers, chefs...the whole good food chain. I have never been rich (usually closer to the opposite) but if I have a kitchen full of good organic olive oil, fresh produce from my wonderful friends and neighbors and wild oregano, I feel very rich indeed. Good food is a major priority for me (I'm not talking about fancy food, just a tomato or cucumber with flavor makes my day). So I've determined over the years that it's best for me to live closer to my favorite food sources, whenever possible.

When I return to Canada, more and more I'm shocked at the poor quality and variety of vegetables and meats available in my hometown. It seems like everything comes pre-cut and pre-washed in a plastic bag. There's a farmer's market that turns out some very nice produce in season, but the rest of the year, the Canadian climate works against that kind of bounty. That's why I'm so happy in Asia...it seems like I could try a new ingredient every day and never get tired. And here, vegetables are grown for their flavour and freshness, not their ability to traverse large distances and stay fresh-looking on a shelf. I know what you mean about not being rich...but I can feed myself as if I was shopping at Whole Foods as a matter of course here, for a fraction of the cost.

Yes..... a cold climate works against growing things. I can see where living in Asia would be like having all the good things about whole foods... AND FAR more.... without the cost ! I lived in the islands at one time and the bounty of what came off the trees and out of the ground was astonishing. I ate like a KING for practically nothing.

So.....lucky you !

enjoy !

Edited by SpaghettiWestern (log)

[quote name='nakji' date='23 May 2010 -

When I return to Canada, more and more I'm shocked at the poor quality and variety of vegetables and meats available in my hometown.

I will never get to "live" overseas at my age. I do love to hear about the daily food life of those that do. We do usually get to go someplace, usually tropical, in February so we can enjoy fresh things.

What gets me is that when I tell friends about the great produce we can eat overseas they resist believing me. They do not want to hear that "3rd world places" might actually have something tastier and better than we do. Wonderful baby bok choi this year in Vietnam, and I always think of the delicious Turkish tomatoes....just a couple examples. And the eggs!

I will never get to "live" overseas at my age. I do love to hear about the daily food life of those that do. We do usually get to go someplace, usually tropical, in February so we can enjoy fresh things.

What gets me is that when I tell friends about the great produce we can eat overseas they resist believing me. They do not want to hear that "3rd world places" might actually have something tastier and better than we do. Wonderful baby bok choi this year in Vietnam, and I always think of the delicious Turkish tomatoes....just a couple examples. And the eggs!

The eggs! Four kinds - two kinds of chicken; quail, and duck, as a matter of course. Not in a specialty shop - in any shop.

There is one decent produce shop in my hometown where the owner grows a lot of his own product on his own farm. He grows many of the vegetable varieties I have access to in Asia, so when I visit, I always take my parents round and point out all the vegetables that I've learnt about. Then we take them home and cook them together. Fortunately my parents are well-travelled, so they love taking chances on something new. The last time, I discovered "Turkish" cucumbers are an excellent substitute for Japanese ones.