• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Suggestions for Philly Art Museum Dist

GordonCooks

Good Day all,

My next Philly excursion, I'm staying in the Museum dist and really don't know any familiar places to chow. I'll probably travel to dinner one night but is there anything close and notable.

Thanks in advance

There are a lot of perfectly acceptable neighborhood places in that area where you could very likely get a good meal, but oddly, I can't think of a lot that I think of as destination restaurants.

I'm fond of Brigid's, but mostly for their excellent beer selection. I eat there with some regularity, and I like it, but it's not necessarily somewhere I'd take someone who was visiting. If i lived in the neighborhood, I'd probably be there once a week.

I hear good things about L'Oca, an Italian BYOB, but I've never been.

I've had good meals at Rembrandt's but it's been a while.

I hear there's good stuff happening at the London Grill, but for no particular reason, I haven't been there in years...

I feel like nobody talks about Jack's Firehouse anymore... I wasn't even sure if Jack McDavid was still involved in it, but the website drops his name a lot, so I assume he's still part of it, although I'm not sure whether he's behind the stove.

There's the second outpost of Sabrina's if you're in a brunch mood.

Right behind the art museum itself is Waterworks, which is lovely, some of the tables have great views, and I think it still serves fairly high-end food, but I don't hear anyone talk about it anymore.

Pushing the edges of the neighborhood a little, there's the new Doma for modern Japanese/Korean (I liked it on one visit) and King of Tandoor for Indian, around 18th and Callowhill.

I hear mixed things about Illuminare, Belgian Cafe, St. Stephen's Green, Umai Umai, etc. It's one of those neighborhoods where there's a lot to choose from, and is probably pretty great if you live there to have such a variety of decent places, but I can't think of anything up there that I'd urge you to visit in particular... If you just want something decent and convenient, you'll do fine. If you're looking to have a peak culinary experience, you might need to travel.

Give us some parameters if you're looking for advice about either narrowing the search in that neighborhood, or for your meal(s) you might travel for, and we might be able to be more decisive!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I was hoping you'd chime in,

As usual, you're a plethora of quality info. I'm probably looking towards seafood as my girl is a pescetarian. We're looking at most likely Lunch in Sat, Brunch and a light dinner on Sun. Sat will be something good, just haven't decided yet on where. I'll probably just check your blog and email you if the opinions are current.

PS - If I eat Korean other than my mom's (or mine) she beats me with a bamboo pole.

Thanks much

The duck at London Grill just made my Top 5 duck list. (Seared breast with a foie sauce and a confit duck croquette to die for.)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

At the risk of topic drift, here are some ideas if you're still deciding about saturday night in the city as a whole, especially focusing on fish.

Of course there's Fish. The only real downside right now is that Little Fish just closed, so traffic might be a bit denser, especially on a saturday night, but it's worth a try, especially if you're a little flexible on timing. The chef definitely has a way with product from the sea, and the place has an interesting wine list, nice setting, but not stuffy.

And there's also The Oyster House, which has the expected deep selection of oysters, but also plenty of other seafood on the menu. I haven't eaten there since a chef change, but I've heard that it's not dramatically different.

If she's up for having her fish (mostly) uncooked, think about omakase at Ro-Zu, it's some of the better, and more interesting, modern sushi and sashimi I've had in town.

These days there'll be some interesting fish and/or vegetarian dishes on pretty much any menu around town, so you'd do fine in almost any nice place, but if you want a larger number of options, those two would top my list.

-unless you want to go full veggie - in which case you should check out Horizons. It's delicious food in an upscale setting. It always comes off sounding defensive, but it's true: you could almost forget that it's not only vegetarian, but vegan.

And if you just want to stay in the neighborhood the other times, I'll bet you can find something good at the places mentioned, or maybe someone will chime in with more advice. Karen, thanks for the thumbs-up on the duck, good to know, might just have to get up there myself...

philadining.com

I live no more than two blocks from most of the restaurants mentioned, so here goes.

The food at L'Oca is quite good. If it weren't for the excessive decibel levels I'd be a regular. You absolutely cannot have a conversation inside, though outdoor seating, if you can get it, is nice with its view of the Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site. (Off-topic: if you haven't been to the prison and can make some time, do visit.)

I'm a fan of Jack's Firehouse, though I'll admit on occasion a dish can miss. The BBQ pork isn't nearly as spicy as it was two or three years ago. Fun interior in an old firehouse.

Rembrandts has a great bar scene and bar menu. The full menu in dining room (very pleasant and lovely to dine in), however, can't compare to London Grill, which is my fav neighborhood restaurant.

If you want simple, basic Greek, Zorba's will not disappoint. Not the best in town, but it satisfies.

I haven't been there for a while, but Figs is good and I understand it's kept up its standards. Moroccan-influenced food.

I've been disppointed in Illuminaire's food, though the decor is handsome, and there's a backyard patio that's delightful, away from the street.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Vetri - no bar seating. But he does have a new place around the corner called Amis that has a bar. Much more casual setting and food style, but still the Vetri thing.

Haven't heard anything about Waterworks brunch. It's a lovely spot, but for $40, it better offer more than just a nice view (and not all the tables have great sightlines! Ask to eat outside if the weather is good, or specifically ask for a table with a view of the river when you book.) The menu makes it look like a pretty conventional buffet, but that kind of thing can sometimes be enjoyable, depending on the overall quality and extras.

If you want to go nuts, the Lacroix brunch is still pretty spectacular. At $65 per person before drinks, it ought to be. It's actually worth the money if you are in the mood to indulge.

philadining.com