• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freshly ground pepper

Darienne

I have relatives in the Philippines who grow black pepper commercially, so every time I go (or they visit) I get a huge bag of peppercorns. Sometimes I don't put it on anything, I just sit there and smell the bag :wink:

I also love a healthy dose on asparagus.. yum.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

As far as I can see, we didn't mention nuts.

Re-found a recipe for Candied Nuts with a Szechwan variant this morning. Found it on line here, near the bottom of the page. If you like hot pepper, Szechwan and Human food, etc, you will love theses. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

A nice ripe free stone peach seasoned with coarse ground black pepper and grilled over a nice hot woodburning or charcoal grill is great. Go's great with duck confit.(also great with free stone nectarines).

Fresh gound pepper over cottage cheese makes a great snack, I like a small drizzle of honey over it as well.

Black pepper creme anglaise

Horseradish and black pepper whipped cream for prime rib, or any beeef roast for that matter.

A basic vanilla macaroon cookie recipe with a few turns of pink pepper corn just to season turned out surprisingly good.

• 6 months later...

I have not been active in the forum for awhile so I though i would offer an update. Pepper-Passion isn running a coupon special until December 15th, 2010. Use the coupn code NOV2010 and you will receive 15% off on your order.

I also regret to advise that the farm that produced the excellent "Talamanca Del Caribe" pepper was sold and converted to Pinapple production. A huge loss for peper lovers. We have a small amount remaining but it will likely be gone befoe year's end. We are still looking for another reliable supplier form Ecuador in the hopes of finding a product with similar characteristics.

Bruce Morgan

www.pepper-passion.com

That's such sad news. Yet again a sustainable crop being run over by something that may have more immediate cash returns but will eventually do more harm to the land.

I have a sufficient supply to last for some time but I did place an order for some others on which I am running low.

Have used quite a lot of the Kampot in preparing some delicate pickled peaches and apricots. The flavor really comes through and enhances the flavor of the fruit. Much better than "regular" peppercorns.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett