• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Between two worlds

C. sapidus

Have you ever had the opportunity to be part of two worlds at the same event? I had this experience recently. I was guest at a wedding reception, and the chef let me help in the kitchen (wearing my suit and tie, of course :cool: ). Nothing too heroic was required of me -- I chopped up some root vegetables ahead of time, learned how to soften rice paper and roll spring rolls, ran a few minor errands, distributed a tray of hors d’oeuvres, and helped bus tables as the party was winding down.

Still, some people seemed quite confused to see a fellow guest helping the “help”.

As an aside, the food was delicious. The chef prepared a variety of SE Asian-influenced delicacies. I particularly enjoyed the hors d’oeuvres: tender and flavorful lamb sate; martabak telor (spiced chicken and egg in flaky flatbread); bo la lot (grilled spiced minced beef wrapped in betel leaves); tia to shrimp (grilled minced shrimp with aromatics); Vietnamese spring rolls (my contribution); and some killer dipping sauces. Definitely some of the best food I have ever eaten at a wedding.

Anyway, it was fascinating and rewarding. Has anyone else had this sort of experience?

• 1 month later...

Sort of - a friend sometimes hires a local personal chef to cook for his dinner parties - usually only 4 guests. I watch her as much as I can - hoping to learn something new and interesting. I help if she asks - she knows I know what I'm doing - and we've become good friends. I've gotten several ideas from her.

Stop Family Violence

Not officially, but we have a friend who's a fine cook and throws big parties. When we arrive he says "Thank God you're here! Can you help me with [insert task.]

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

No way. I wouldn't dream of insinuating myself into someone elses kitchen, especially when I am an invited guest and NOT getting paid. I wouldn't want to embarass anyone with my obviously superior skills, and I never give it away for nothing :laugh:

I agree with Scubadoo, Bruce - you would have a thing or two to show off!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Not officially, but we have a friend who's a fine cook and throws big parties. When we arrive he says "Thank God you're here! Can you help me with [insert task.]

Maggie, that is my favorite kind of party - participatory!

I wouldn't want to embarass anyone with my obviously superior skills, and I never give it away for nothing :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thank you for the kind words, Scubadoo and Badiane, but I was definitely the one learning. The chef had assembled a crew from SE Asia, so they all knew their stuff. I was most impressed with the cook manning the grill station. He turned out perfectly-cooked sate, probably the best I have ever eaten, while working in almost complete darkness out in the alley.

I was also fascinated to get a (very) small taste of what it is like to work in a restaurant kitchen. Great fun, but I am happy to remain a home cook.

Well does it count being the bride and micromanaging the food including the spit roasting lamb and pork, as well as what looked like aside o' beef in the oven? Normal people keep trying to stop you because you are all dressed, but as a oook you want your hands in there tasting and supervising, and advising. What I really want is a photo essay of the meal Bruce!

Well does it count being the bride and micromanaging the food including the spit roasting lamb and pork, as well as what looked like aside o' beef in the oven? Normal people keep trying to stop you because you are all dressed, but as a oook you want your hands in there tasting and supervising, and advising. What I really want is a photo essay of the meal Bruce!

Heidi, it sounds like your wedding reception would make a much more entertaining photoessay. :laugh:

I forgot my camera, but there were lots of pictures of the chapel, friends and relatives, wedding cake, happy couple, yadda yadda, but none of the food. People really need to get their priorities straight. :rolleyes:

I'll sidle up to the chef at parties, if he/she is not too busy, and chat about the food. But then I go into my princess mode, sit down, and enjoy being served. Once a friend, a chef and cooking teacher, did some cooking at a party for our mutual friends, and I joined him in the kitchen to help out. That was great. He was making all these pork siu mai, and showed me how to make them well. If you can combine a party with a cooking lesson, more power to you, I say.

But then another friend, also a chef, told me about this: He was invited to a party, and when he arrived he discovered the host and hostess had set up raw food, pots and pans, and jokingly put him to making dinner for himself, them, and the rest of their guests. This friend is way too much a nice guy. He was a good sport about cooking the dinner, but later he asked me what I thought about it. I told him his hosts' behavior was not nice*.

* expurgated version to comply with EGullet rules.

I had a (somewhat, sortof) similar situation, many years ago.

A friend, who was NOT an adventerous cook, brought to my home several pounds of fresh shrimp, a pound of butter(just plain old), and a pound of pasta, and said "Make us something wonderful." I proceeded to serve up spaghetti al' scampi et burro con aglio y olio. Pardon my fractured Italian, spaghetti with shrimp with butter and garlic and oil. (My mom had lately turned me on to the garlic and oil thing, with added pasta water and a ton of parsley) with garlic bread. She was happy, and I've never reprodused the recipe, but dayum, it was good!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"