• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Chocolate Cups

mostlylana

I want to make eggnog cups for Christmas this year. I did cups last year and I know I read all the tips and tricks somewhere! In any case, memory fails me and I know there's something different about molding cups that will be removed from the mold unfilled and filled at a later time. I have the same mold as the cups pictured in the new Wybauw ganache book. Nice. So I'm thinking I need to do a 2 shell mold (fill and dump, let set, fill and dump again and let set) in order to get enough structure. Also, what's the trick about placement of the mold when setting? I'm not sure if I'm after a thin or thicker rim. :huh:

Thanks!

I do a single layer, scrape really, really well, set on their side. Fridge until they separate, freezer for 3 minutes if required. Twist the mold, put my finger in the cup to pull them out. Those that aren't coming out get another twist and 3 more minutes in freezer. Did 4 plates of cups yesterday for an upcoming demo on Friday - broke 1 cup!