• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mystery No-Name Utensil

Darienne

This stainless steel utensil with missing handle came into our lives at some point during the last 50 years...well, March 2010 will be 50 years for us...probably from a second hand outlet. It's DH's favorite. Good for taking Chinese dishes from the pan to the dish.

Mystery Utensil.JPG

DH would like to find/buy another one, with handle, but so far I have been unable to find one anywhere online, in catalogs, etc.

Can someone help? (This sounds like a job for Wonder Ginger Lady, Andie :smile: )

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have no idea what it's called, but I have one. I got one in a wok set I got at a rummage sale for a dollar (a DOLLAR for the wok, ring, and utensils. Can't beat that!). It has a wooden handle that falls out easily. I've seen them at an Asian grocery in town for not much money, so try one near you.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Try googling "Wok Spatula". I see these all the time at charity stores so I'm surprised you can't find one.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Hey, look what I found! http://www.quickspice.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/cookwarewokutensils.shtml?E+scstore

I found that by searching for "wok utensils" on Yahoo. I hope the link comes through.

It's called a wok spatula, and I saw one for $4.95 on another site. If you search for that, you may find one cheaper than that, however if you have an Asian market nearby, that may be your best bet.

ETA: more info

Edited by thock (log)

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Thanks all. Turns out Ed has not been looking in his twice weekly visits to the second hand stores looking for some other bits and bobs. We do see the occasional used wok so we might well see the wok spatula.

Plus we are heading out for a major tour of Markham (north of Toronto) which is predominantly Chinese very soon.

Thanks again. Who knew?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

It's a wok chuan and Amazon has a variety of types.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wok+spatula&x=0&y=0

I've got the Oxo good grips one and find it is easier to hold (arthritic hands) than the old metal one I have had for years.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Very sad to report that Amazon does not carry very much in its Canadian version, and no kitchen stuff. Had I but known when I was in Moab... :sad:

I will look at the Oxo chuan, but seeing as Ed does most of the lifting part of the cooking, he may prefer the stainless steel one.

Thanks all.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Tane Chen at www.wokshop.com has them and everything else you might need for Asian cooking.

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

We have one that looks just like yours but with the handle. The handle is just a plain wood dowel with an eyelet screwed to the end. We purchased ours in New York's Chinatown over thirty years ago. I suggest just making your own handle out of a piece of wood dowel and glueing it in with some epoxy. It will be much more personal.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

We have one that looks just like yours but with the handle. The handle is just a plain wood dowel with an eyelet screwed to the end. We purchased ours in New York's Chinatown over thirty years ago. I suggest just making your own handle out of a piece of wood dowel and glueing it in with some epoxy. It will be much more personal.

Thanks for the suggestion, but DH wants a couple more, that's why I am chasing this one down.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My original wok spatula had a wooden handle that was simply hammered into the metal part as per your picture--no pin, no glue. Worked fine, but once in a while I'd have to bang it against the counter when it got loose. Eventually I replace it due to rust problems damaging the edge, rather than handle problem. The one I have now has a handle pinned in place and is solidly connected enough to hang by the handle.