• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ikea Appliances

weinoo

Ikea is currently running a sale with up to 20% off an entire kitchen purchase. The 20% off is achieved by purchasing 3 of their appliances; 15% off for purchasing 2.

Now, it looks like some of their appliances are simply rebranded Whirlpools and/or Frigidaires, while others I'm not so sure of.

For instance, there is a DATID PRO D50 gas range (36") at $1,750 and a FRAMTID gas range (30") at $1,000.

There are also the same-named microwaves, and RENLIG and NUTID dishwashers.

All appliances appear to come with a 5-year warranty, which is way above the industry standard.

So, does anyone have any experience with any of the above appliances?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

No experience with the appliances. I do, however sit up and take notice of the 5 year warranty, and I have seen the appliacnes in situ at the stores.

The gas appliances I find interesting because they "break through" the N.American mindset of either: Total garbage for under $800, OR Residential versions of commercial stuff for over $2,500, and nothing inbetween.

What I like abut the Ikeas schtuff is 1) The grates are cast iron, non of this porcealined crud that will chip and flake off after 6mths of uses. and 2) Tstefull and practical use of stainless steel.

I have also noticed on the Ikeas fridges, albeit rebranded N.American products, they have "forced" the mnfctrs to give up on that 'orrible wrinkly-cheap-$5-chinese-shoes-like surface texture that fills up with dirt and crud immediately; and instead go back to smooth exerior surfaces.

While I many not agree with a lot of the Ikea practices and marketing ploys, I highy congratulate them on "forcing" the N.A. mnfctrs to give up on the 'oribble finish and provide a decent gas range with a decent price range. Yes it is badge engineering, but at least it's intelligent badge engineering.....