• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredient or flavor combinations

JAZ

Whether I'm formally developing new recipes or just playing around in the kitchen, I tend to fall back on a few combinations of ingredients or flavors. Some are traditional combinations from ethnic or regional cuisines, but others are just duos or trios that I've come upon and keep returning to. Here, for instance, on the "Reputation Maker" topic, I wrote about a cookie I make with browned butter, cardamom and cinnamon. Since coming up with the cookie recipe, I've adapted the flavor combination to both a cake and caramels. On the savory side, I use roasted red peppers, caramelized onions and aged gouda cheese in a soup, as a pizza topping, in twice-baked potatoes, and macaroni and cheese. Also as a topping for crostini, which is the recipe I started with.

I'm in good company here. Tom Colicchio's Think Like a Chef contains a chapter on "Trilogies" -- his tried and true combinations. Yet I wonder if my use of such combinations borders on overuse. Maybe my guests think my trios are as trite and boring as some people think cilantro, chiles and lime are.

Does anyone else fall back on a few combinations? If you do, what are they? And how do you know if your tried and true ingredients have put you in a rut, or whether they're worth returning to?

If a flavor combo works, I like to explore it. Find sweet and savory uses for the combo, find out what adjusting the balance in different directions does, things like that. There are so many ways to use an ingredient combination and so many other ingredients to use the combo with that a curious and/or creative mind can use it for a very long time without getting stuck in a rut. With a little cycling in and out of a few favorite combos, you'd never be in danger. If you're not grabbing the same three ingredients in the same proportions every time you develop a recipe, I doubt you should be too worried. I mean, red peppers, caramelized onions and aged gouda can provide quite a few flavor variations without adding any other ingredients or bringing cooking methods and textures into the equation.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I like the clarity of proven trilogies, but equally the new surprises. I doubt I'll ever tire of cilantro, chiles and lime. Don't think I fall back on any trios, there's too many combos and not enough time.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

There are so many ways to use an ingredient combination and so many other ingredients to use the combo with that a curious and/or creative mind can use it for a very long time without getting stuck in a rut.

I realized tonight that I although I may fall back on the same ingredient combinations, I do use them differently. Tonight, for instance, I made pasta with a sort of "deconstructed" pesto sauce -- basil chiffonade, toasted pine nuts, parm, and garlic infused cream. So I think you're right.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread...but I've been running across a lovely flavor combo since we moved to New Mexico.

Mustard and Green Chillies. On a burger, it's amazing! I'm going to try this with some grilled chicken soon, it seems like such a great combination, and I'm not even a mustard fan.

I do believe there are some flavors (much like the thread in the pastry forum) that belong together, like tomato & basil...

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Mustard and Green Chillies. On a burger, it's amazing!

I've been eating cheeseburgers with mustard and jalapenos for many years, it's one of my favorite burgers. Not the same chiles but I have no doubt that it works just as well if not better with some nice roasted New Mexicos. I'll have to try it sometime.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.