• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland Street Food

The discussion in the Restaurant Life Forum on starting a food truck resulted in exposition on the wonderful street food in Portland, Portland Street Cuisine.

I obviously have missed something on other visits, but will be at a conference at the convention center later in October. Any hints on what to look for in the ephemeral world of street cuisine? Something other than the Mexican luncheras we have here in Eastern Washington would be wonderful - especially if it were in striking distance between sessions.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

When I was in Portland in August, I thought it was weird that none of the street food places were open at night. After a really early dinner at Apizza Scholls one night, we went out around 10 and the carts were all closed up, on a Friday night. I would think that would be prime-time, especially since we were right near the Pearl District.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 3 weeks later...

When I was in Portland in August, I thought it was weird that none of the street food places were open at night. After a really early dinner at Apizza Scholls one night, we went out around 10 and the carts were all closed up, on a Friday night. I would think that would be prime-time, especially since we were right near the Pearl District.

the downtown area is not really the night hotspot in portland. The most busy areas at night are hawthorne, alberta, belmont (all on the east side). there are many a cart over there that only close 3-5 hours of the day.