• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melted chocolate dessert due to heat issue

Lior

Now that is innovative!! I will experiment. Now I experimented with my fondue/spread according to the above recipe. I was heavy handed with the cherry heering liqueur ( :angry: grrrr why did I do that?!) and it separated andwhen I emulsified it, it became coagulated- littel crumbs of fat or something and is impossible to fix!! Now I have about 300 or so grams of a mess and don't think itis good for anything. Mabe I will add pectin to it!!

Wouldn't it burn the chocolate BTW?? I don't see how it is possible??

Now that is innovative!! I will experiment. Now I experimented with my fondue/spread according to the above recipe. I was heavy handed with the cherry heering liqueur ( :angry:  grrrr why did I do that?!) and it separated andwhen I emulsified it, it became coagulated- littel crumbs of fat or something and is impossible to fix!! Now I have about 300 or so grams of a mess and don't think itis good for anything. Mabe I will add pectin to it!!

I can't see that pectin and chocolate will be a good combination - although someone's gotta try it!

Now that is innovative!! I will experiment. Now I experimented with my fondue/spread according to the above recipe. I was heavy handed with the cherry heering liqueur ( :angry:  grrrr why did I do that?!) and it separated andwhen I emulsified it, it became coagulated- littel crumbs of fat or something and is impossible to fix!! Now I have about 300 or so grams of a mess and don't think itis good for anything. Mabe I will add pectin to it!!

I can't see that pectin and chocolate will be a good combination - although someone's gotta try it!

I was thinking of a 'black forest' dessert I had in Sydney that was a parfait with chocolate gellee, kirsch chantilly and cherry granita. I imagine the chocolate gellee used gelatin instead of pectin. Kerry, do you think the heat required for pectin would ruin the chocolate, or does the texture just not appeal to you? Does fat interfere with pectin?

There are single use chill packs used in First Aid that get cold when you scrunch them and mix the chemicals inside... do you have those available?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I was thinking of a 'black forest' dessert I had in Sydney that was a parfait with chocolate gellee, kirsch chantilly and cherry granita. I imagine the chocolate gellee used gelatin instead of pectin. Kerry, do you think the heat required for pectin would ruin the chocolate, or does the texture just not appeal to you? Does fat interfere with pectin?

I think the heat would be the big issue for sure. I think pectin is compatible with fat - there was one recipe that used one of the weird pectins I have that put it in caramel - that would have a fair bit of fat.

a little update. The mess that I made was covered and put in the fridge. I always do this when I don't know what to do!! I took it out today, and thought to bring it to room temperature and take a look once more. Lo and behold it stabilized, was smooth and shiny!! No coagulated bits of whatever! I couldn't believe it. I took a few tablespoons out and added a bit of olive oil thinking to get it a bit more fluid. Both are good consistencies, tasty but not "wow! That is scrumptious!" I went to my Recchiuiti book remembering that he has odd recipes. He has a few drinks with alcohol. But no shelf life. I decided to email him. He was so kind and answered me and thought a drink or spread was good. He said he would be happy to work it out with me! Now I am not sure what I will ask!!

On another note, I find a winery here that makes chocolate liqueur, dark, milk and white. All natural and all have at least a one year shelf life. Storage of 10-26 max C. The dark has no milk or cream products in it. But the others do. I wonder how he did it? On Friday I will go to the winery and taste and buy.

Edited by Lior (log)

So anothger update in case anyone has been following this thread and of course for all those who have helped!

I received a package from our Prasantrin all the way (for me) from Japan! I got 5 adorable little cooler bags and a bunch of cute mini mini pacs of cooler gel, the size of my cell phone or smaller! It was quite an excitement as it has Japanese writing on and I felt as though I could be in a Japanese store! The clerk announced at our little local post office that it was from Japan and everyone around came to look!! I had to open it right there! So a big huge thank you to Rona!! Have a lovely break wherever you are! I will take some pictures of it all later on. :biggrin:

I got samples of the liqueur which is very tasty and I bought little bottles of 60cc and a 60cc injection in order to fill them up. The pilot wants a more romantic styled mini bottle as this is just a tiny bottle square shaped. I liked the simplicity but he wants something more sensual. So I need to look again-erggh! The more sensual ones are of course more expensive and he limits my budget! Everyone wants miracles!! I will go and look and maybe find something. I will also take photos of the bottle!!

The pilot wants a more romantic styled mini bottle as this is just a tiny bottle square shaped. I liked the simplicity but he wants something more sensual. So I need to look again-erggh! The more sensual ones are of course more expensive and he limits my budget! Everyone wants miracles!! I will go and look and maybe find something. I will also take photos of the bottle!!

Note to pilot: cheap, delicious, beautiful... pick two. :raz::biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You said it!!! Well I thought to offer him 2 mini bottles with 2 flavours. He thinks one nicerbottle one flavour... Here are the pics!!

I put the cooler next to my 200gr jar of tasters choice to give size relativity(!)-yes American coffee here is prized although we have great "mud" coffee (Turkish maybe it is known as?) and my cell also to show how teeny the gel pacs are.

gallery_53591_4944_175452.jpg

and my mini 60ml bottle (2 fluid ounces):

gallery_53591_4944_117207.jpg