• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I want a damn peach now

annecros

I was on a mission this weekend to find Ruston peaches this weekend since there was a family obligation that negated me attending the Peach Festival. I travelled the backwoods areas looking for pickup trucks selling them. The truck near me was only selling Washington Parish watermelons. Finally found a little stand in Gramercy that helped me.

Here's the conversation,

No, little lady, I don't have any. We have Alabama peaches right now. Don't know why you want Ruston peaches when we have Alabama peaches.

Yeah, I've heard that the ones from Chilton are good, but are they as good as Ruston peaches?

Oh, yeah! The ones we have are from Chilton, and everybody knows that Chilton peaches are better than Rustons.

Really? I have never heard that before. Is that why you sell Chiltons?

Nah. We can't get any Ruston peaches right now, but we're trying."

:laugh::cool:

But he was a really nice man. He used his cell phone to call a buddy of his in Hammond, and that connection had a 1/2 bushel of Ruston peaches left that he tucked away in back until I could get there.

Louisiana has some good ol' boys :wub:

Rhonda

--------

Edited to add: Just found out that Chilton County is in GA. That man! :laugh::laugh:

Edited by PopsicleToze (log)

Went and got 10lbs of sour cherries. made jam and cobbler and froze some for a Christmas cherry pie. The had what they labeled "real early peaches" Did not try any as I was cherry obsessed.

I think Susan is at the cabin so I can report we had our first local sweet corn last night. Juicy and sweet it was. Wish it tasted a little more like corn

So, I ate all the peaches I could, and saw they were going to go down. I peeled, sliced, and froze them with a bit of sugar laid out flat on a baking sheet. Then bagged them up.

IQF, baby.

A suggestion that I should take a slice of frozen peach and drop it into a glass of champagne was the inspiration.

Used them as ice cubes for vodka and ginger ale. I'll wash my face and change my shirt later.

Where next? I'm thinking GA and SC will peak next.

Ruston peaches are the best I have ever eaten. So far.