• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is oven cleaner "safe" on cast iron?

jmolinari

Oven cleaner works wonders removing baked on grease on a stainless cooktops and enameled stuff. I'm wondering if there is any risk of permanent damage in using oven cleaner on cast iron cooking grates.

anyone know?

Should do no harm however I have found that if you put the grates in a self-cleaning oven on a shelf and run a short cycle they will come out like new. Give it a try.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Is this is a restaurant kitchen setting? If so, you could burn the grates to white-hot over your stove burners, and then a good wire grill brush should remove a lot, if not all of the carbon buildup.

Your grates (and the grates on my RNB30) are porcelain enamel on cast iron -- oven cleaner will not harm them.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.