• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coconut Fat? What is it?

pringle007

In several of the Greweling recipes in his text, he calls for the use of coconut fat. What is this? Coconut milk? Creme de Caco?

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

That would be coconut oil in the bulk food or health food store. It's actually solid so don't be surprised when you think you are looking for a liquid.

Here is a link to a picture.

For the purposes in the Greweling book it isn't necessary to go with the virgin oil.

Thanks Kerry! Im familiar with coconut oil and have some onhand already. It never occured to me that was the "coconut fat".

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

coconut oil has a few different fractions that are commercially available - one is solid, and has a melting point of approx 92F. The other, which is a liquid (well, mostly liquid) at room temperature, is often used in ice cream coatings, and has a melting point of approx 72C. This one is often used by confectioners to add to chocoalte to create a 'meltaway' type center

It is also a top shelf item in Wal-Mart, found above the shortenings.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

I used coconut oil/butter for years when I made 'I can't believe it's not chocolate', a recipe from Dr. Mercola from his cookbook. That was then...this is now. Believe me, it was not chocolate. Only chocolate is chocolate!

Coconut oils have quite a range in taste and some we did not like at all. So do give it a second chance if you don't like the taste of what you have made :sad: . Try a different brand. :smile:

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

coconut oil has a few different fractions that are commercially available - one is solid, and has a melting point of approx 92F.  The other, which is a liquid (well, mostly liquid) at room temperature, is often used in ice cream coatings, and has a melting point of approx 72C.  This one is often used by confectioners to add to chocoalte to create a 'meltaway' type center

Sebastian - assuming a cold store, would both "types" of coconut oils appear solid? Is there a way to tell them apart from the nutritional label - ie., does one have a slightly higher fat, protient or carb content than the other?

easiest way to tell would be the natural coconut oil would simply read 'coconut oil' and the 92 degree melt point one would mostly likely read 'partially hydrogenated coconut oil'. however, there are some high melt fractions taht are not hydrogenated, and they'll be pretty hard at room temp - ie if you poke it with your finger, it's not going to give. the 72 degree version may, if the room is cool, appear solid, but if you poke it, your finger will sink into it (unless the room is REALLY cold)

easiest way to tell would be the natural coconut oil would simply read 'coconut oil' and the 92 degree melt point one would mostly likely read 'partially hydrogenated coconut oil'.  however, there are some high melt fractions taht are not hydrogenated, and they'll be pretty  hard at room temp - ie if you poke it with your finger, it's not going to give.  the 72 degree version may, if the room is cool, appear solid, but if you poke it, your finger will sink into it (unless the room is REALLY cold)

I've noticed too that the more saturated coconut oil looks whiter - more opaque - no transparency like you see with some of the 'softer' oils.

easiest way to tell would be the natural coconut oil would simply read 'coconut oil' and the 92 degree melt point one would mostly likely read 'partially hydrogenated coconut oil'.  however, there are some high melt fractions taht are not hydrogenated, and they'll be pretty  hard at room temp - ie if you poke it with your finger, it's not going to give.  the 72 degree version may, if the room is cool, appear solid, but if you poke it, your finger will sink into it (unless the room is REALLY cold)

I've noticed too that the more saturated coconut oil looks whiter - more opaque - no transparency like you see with some of the 'softer' oils.

Good observation! If it's a RBD (Refined, Bleached, Deodorized) oil (virtually all you buy are), what you're seeing is the effect of crystallization. In the more saturated oils - they have a higher solids content at room temp because more of the oil has taken it's crystalline form, and reflects the light differently that does a liquid oil. It's why, for example, when you look at, say Crisco in the jar it's white, but when you melt it it's see through and clear(ish) - no more crystals!

Sorry, the chemist in me forces itself out from time to time....

• 5 years later...

coconut oil has a few different fractions that are commercially available - one is solid, and has a melting point of approx 92F. The other, which is a liquid (well, mostly liquid) at room temperature, is often used in ice cream coatings, and has a melting point of approx 72C. This one is often used by confectioners to add to chocoalte to create a 'meltaway' type center

easiest way to tell would be the natural coconut oil would simply read 'coconut oil' and the 92 degree melt point one would mostly likely read 'partially hydrogenated coconut oil'. however, there are some high melt fractions taht are not hydrogenated, and they'll be pretty hard at room temp - ie if you poke it with your finger, it's not going to give. the 72 degree version may, if the room is cool, appear solid, but if you poke it, your finger will sink into it (unless the room is REALLY cold)

I am thinking of trying Peter Greweling's meltaways (various flavors) but am confused by the coconut oil required.  I have a jar (originating from the Philippines and sold under the Carrington Farms name) labeled "Pure, Unrefined, Cold Pressed Coconut Oil, 100% Organic Extra Virgin."  The label also says that the oil melts above 75 F.; thus I would assume, from Sebastian's posts, that I have the second type, the one he says that confectioners use.  But the jar I have says nothing about being partially hydrogenated, indeed stressing that it is "pure coconut oil."  In addition, the contents are firm at room temperature, about the consistency of Crisco or perhaps a bit more firm.  My main concern is that this coconut oil has a very pronounced coconut flavor; in fact, I use it to contribute that flavor to a piña colada ganache that I make.  Did I just happen to get a strongly flavored coconut oil or are they all like that?  If I want a blander-tasting one (I don't think the taste of coconut mixed with mint or peanut butter is what I am looking for in a meltaway), does anyone have any suggestions for a brand?  If I can help it, I prefer not to purchase jar after jar seeking one that is more deodorized.

The virgin coconut oils- like Spectrum- have the more pronounced coconut taste, as it hasn't been processed; the non-virgin, processed coconut oil -like the LuAnn's brand at WalMart has no detectable taste.  

For cooking/frying I used the LuAnn's- (coconut oil has a pretty high smoke point); but, for oil pulling, I use Spectrum.  My family doesn't like the coconut taste, so they get the cheap stuff.    I happen to love it, so I get the more expensive stuff.

Hope that helps...

Andrea

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Jim, sorry

I'm such a big fan of it...I forget that its not all that common anymore  Oil pulling sounds kinda strange, but its a pretty old Ayurvedic method for maintaining good dental health.  This will sound absolutely disgusting to some, but I promise you...it works.   Basically, you put coconut oil (or another healthy oil- like almond or sesame) in your mouth, and use your tongue to push and pull it for anywhere from 5-15 minutes, then spit it out.

They question I always get is "How the H*@& does that help your teeth?!"     So, if you think of bacteria---they're cells. And like a cell, they have a membrane. The membrane is, simply put, a fatty coat.   So, what is fat attracted to? Other fats...or oils.    So, whatever bacteria that's lurking around in your mouth, or in and around your teeth, are going to be more attracted to a fat/oil substance, as opposed to a water/alcohol substance. (Remember: "oil and water don't mix"?)   I mean, Scope and Listerine are great and all...they do take away the dragon breath in the morning- temporarily. But, the oil pulling is really geared more toward ridding the mouth of bacteria and ick that cause plaque.   It whitens teeth quite nicely, and I even get my kids to do it. Our cavity count has dropped tremendously over the last 2 years since we started doing it.

Believe it or not - there are entire books devoted to this practice.  

Now, that was probably TMI. But, it might save you a little greenery ($) in the future, if you have dental issues and wanted to try something new. :smile:  Never thought I'd be posting this on a pastry/baking forum, but whatever!   Cheers!

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: