• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's a Fair Price for Dinner?

Rail Paul

Tommy, if a restaurant sells a $8 bottle of wine for $35, that is a disgrace. I've written in previous post about pricing and don't want to get into my pricing ideas but today's consumers are much more wine savvy than before.

hyperbole.

Maybe, but not far from the truth. When I go out to eat the wine list is as important as the menu. The prices that I see on some lists can take the edge off a great meal. I don't know how many times the liquor bill has been as much as the food bill. I've developed relationships in NYC that allow me to BYO in certain places, but NJ is the best. When I go out to eat an exceptional meal I want to drink at that level. Prices on most lists preclude me from doing that unless I BYO.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Looks like the "Fair Price for Dinner" topic has turned into "The Economics of BYOBs"

If you have been to Greece you know that they serve wine in jelly glasses-- they don't care about the "proper" glass.  (Not to mention that they are poisoning all the stray cats!!)

Amen.

you're quoting yourself. did you forget to log out and in under the other name?

good catch tommy.

Looks like the "Fair Price for Dinner" topic has turned into "The Economics of BYOBs"

If you have been to Greece you know that they serve wine in jelly glasses-- they don't care about the "proper" glass.  (Not to mention that they are poisoning all the stray cats!!)

Amen.

good catch tommy.

thanks tommy.

Amen.

good catch tommy.

thanks tommy.

amen.

Amen.

good catch tommy.

thanks tommy.

amen.

That's it!!! I'm going to AA tomorrow.

Greetings and salutations, Lou

simply a question of economics

a price of $10 for a steak may yield a demand of 75 customers

a price of $35 for a steak may yield a demand of 40 customers

[Tommy, if a restaurant sells a $8 bottle of wine for $35, that is a disgrace. ]

we all make decisions as consumers of whether to buy or not and where to dine or shop.

Unless we all have the same demand for all the same items, there is no fair price.