• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dishes for Using Up Small Amounts of Leftovers?

Chris Amirault

Not particularly gourmet but I've seen it done and enjoyed it many times: leftover pie!

The idea is simple, you place all your leftovers in a pie shell with plenty of spices and herbs if you feel like it. Potatoes, pasta, grains, meat, cold cuts, cheese and some vegetables are great... you can also add frozen peas or corn if you are short on vegetables. It is usually served with homemade ketchups or chutneys.

I was just about to type that our last "use it all up" dish was indeed curry.

A bit like the pie idea I suppose but as long as they are not too moist, you can wrap leftovers in filo pastry (following directions to brush with butter) and bake. Filo suprises!

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Most meats and veggies, no matter the spices, benefit from being mixed with leftover (or made for the purpose) croquettes with mashed potatos and fried. Most anything Asian goes into stirfry or fried rice. Many leftover garden veggies (usually lightly steamed or blanched, seasoned only lightly with salt and butter and maybe a little pepper or tarragon in their original state) go into a plastic container in my freezer which, when it's full, is my timer on when to make either gazpacho or vegetable beef soup, depending on the time of year.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

You can also make up some sort of sauce, add the leftovers, and fold the whole thing up in crepes.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.