• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candied Citrus, What Can Be Done with the Syrup?

John DePaula

After you’ve been candying citrus peels a while, you end up with lots of left over syrup, which is quite delicious on its own.

Do you reuse the syrup the next time you make more candied citrus peels?

If not, can you make caramels with it?

So that it doesn’t go to waste, what else can you make with it?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I've used some of the syrups a second time for candying another peel. I think the orange went for lemons. I did not keep the kumquat syrup at all. Too full of specific and pungent taste.

I have also made little hard candies, like those Reisen tidbits.

One time I started to make actual lollipops using the apricot syrup, but it would not harden sufficiently even at the top temperature. I think it had too much of something in it to harden. (Never got an answer to that question.)

I'll try the lollipops again with the Meyer lemon syrup.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Cocktails, lots of cocktails, or freeze it to use for punch in the summer (I cater).

Also, to season vinagrettes.

I've never tried using the syrup to candy more peels... maybe for poaching?

Karen Dar Woon

I have used the citrus syrup to candy ginger and also to candy peppers - I belong to Chile-Heads and for one of our hot-lucks I made "red-hots" candying dried chile tepins in the syrup I had saved from candying oranges. The true "tin throat, chile-heads" loved them.

I have candied figs in citrus syrup and also in ginger syrup. Try various things, see how you like them.

I have used the ginger syrup (diluted with a little sauterne) to poach pears.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I always mean to use it to glaze a fruit tart or a cake, or sub it for honey in a recipe, but before I know it I've made a batch of waffles and whipped some cream and it's all disappeared into my sticky, happy family. (Well, they're sticky and happy afterwards, anyway.)

Thanks for all of the suggestions, especially the idea to candy figs - that sounds delicious!

In looking through my recipe cache, I recently came across one for Fig Liqueur. Basically, it's got dried figs, sugar, vodka and a vanilla pod. I bet the orange syrup would make a find substitute for the sugar in the Fig Liqueur, eh?

And hey, I just bought a new spray gun for spraying chocolate so I bet I could load up the gun with syrup and spray some tarts - preferably a lot of them all at once.

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I always mean to use it to glaze a fruit tart or a cake, or sub it for honey in a recipe, but before I know it I've made a batch of waffles and whipped some cream and it's all disappeared into my sticky, happy family. (Well, they're sticky and happy afterwards, anyway.)

do do do do...do do do do...(musical accompaniment)

We ARE having waffles for supper, for our once a week dessert supper. Now I'll add Meyer lemon syrup to the possible toppings.

Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

By the way, I used some of the syrup for making a sorbet / granita last night. I added water to bring the sugar content down to about 31 BRIX and then I put it in the ice cream machine. Results were mixed. Personally, I didn't care for it - very "flat" and too sweet, but my SO liked it a lot. Next time (if there is one) I'd add some lemon juice and/or reduce the sugar even further to, oh I dunno, 27 BRIX...

John DePaula
--------------------

By the way, I used some of the syrup for making a sorbet / granita last night.  I added water to bring the sugar content down to about 31 BRIX and then I put it in the ice cream machine.  Results were mixed.  Personally, I didn't care for it - very "flat" and too sweet, but my SO liked it a lot.  Next time (if there is one) I'd add some lemon juice and/or reduce the sugar even further to, oh I dunno, 27 BRIX...

all this syrup talk got me interested :raz: ...is it hard to candy orange peel? does anyone have a great recipe/technique? i think it would be hard to get slices of peel? and then what do you do with the leftover oranges? :huh:

By the way, I used some of the syrup for making a sorbet / granita last night.  I added water to bring the sugar content down to about 31 BRIX and then I put it in the ice cream machine.  Results were mixed.  Personally, I didn't care for it - very "flat" and too sweet, but my SO liked it a lot.  Next time (if there is one) I'd add some lemon juice and/or reduce the sugar even further to, oh I dunno, 27 BRIX...

all this syrup talk got me interested :raz: ...is it hard to candy orange peel? does anyone have a great recipe/technique? i think it would be hard to get slices of peel? and then what do you do with the leftover oranges? :huh:

Take a look at the following:

Candied Citrus Peel - The Topic

candied kumquats

John DePaula
--------------------

Take a look at the following:

Candied Citrus Peel - The Topic

candied kumquats

Andiesenji is the Ginger Lady and the best at candying everything. She has a recipe on Recipe Gullet which I have used.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

all this syrup talk got me interested :raz: ...is it hard to candy orange peel?  does anyone have a great recipe/technique?  i think it would be hard to get slices of peel? and then what do you do with the leftover oranges? :huh:

You can see photos of my method for removing the entire peel from oranges, also works with grapefruit and larger lemons, on the Artisinal Christmas Prezzies post # 163

Do not try to candy lime peel - it turns an ugly gray.

As I note in the instructional post, you can separate the orange segments, spread them on a tray and freeze them - after they are frozen, store them in a plastic bag or other freezer container and use as many or as few as you want - they will keep nicely for three months.

Also in the Candied Citrus peel topic is my method for doing small batches of Candied peel in microwave which speeds things up considerably and you can decide if you like the end product before taking on a larger and more time-consuming project.

As a side note, candied grapefruit peel is an excellent substitute for citron in fruit breads, stollen, etc.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

hi everyone! first post, woohoo!

anyway, I just recently made candied orange peels, and used the extra syrup in my tea. I like it better than sugar now!

Congratulations, KristenLea, and welcome to the wonderful world of candying everything you can lay your hands on :wub: .

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You can see photos of my method for removing the entire peel from oranges, also works with grapefruit and larger lemons, on the Artisinal Christmas Prezzies post # 163

I really wish that I had seen your technique for fabricating the orange peels. I am in Charleston, SC and found ;) a grapefruit tree with over 400 grapefruits on it. OMG... the owner allowed me to "take as many as you want, but do not take them all..." Sidebar, what would I possibly do w/ 400 citrus????? I took a modest 60 and shared 15 w/ friends.

Well, I decided to make candied peel and what a fiasco. Started with a knife trying to cut off, then used different sized microplane graters, back to the knife. Then I "filleted" the zest off the pith and candied the zest by following a recipe.

Seeing your technique was an epiphany... I should have included the pith.

By the way, the zest did come out fantastic... friends are eating it like candy and it is great in hot tea.

Tom Gengo