• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food inspired by products inspired by food

emilyr

As I was very sleepily showering this morning, I looked at my olive oil/honey/macadamia nut body scrub and apple/wild fig shower gel and thought, "Yum, that sounds good." I think I may be losing it. :biggrin: And I don't really care at this point. I once also had a body spray that was lime and basil, which is one of my favorite grilled chicken marinades, so I don't think I'm too far off base.

Obviously, food scented body products appeal to us because of the memories they trigger. Any that you particularly like?

Have you ever been inspired by a non-food product to make a food product? I'm thinking of making a macadamia nut cake, vegan-style with olive oil and honey. Any recipes?

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I know what you mean. I've noticed how much the bathroom shelf reads like the kitchen pantry. A marketing suit at Lever Brothers could probably give you an in-depth answer, but I figure it's because people have grown afraid of soap chemicals while embracing organic-sounding foodstuffs. If it's good enough to eat then surely it's good to rub in your hair.

Have you ever been inspired by a non-food product to make a food product?
No, I don't think so.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I have an almond scrub that always puts me in the mood for marzipan. Most of the soap I buy comes from Etsy, it's all hand done, and the scents are amazing. Beer soap, this one called chocolate delight (which looks EXACTLY like a chunk of fudge sitting in my shower), all manner of citrus and herbs. Oh, it's crazy. A lot of time, I'll get cravings based on my products. Don't even get me started on candle scents.

These scrubs are just getting you nice and marinaded for when the aliens come and cook you and eat you up.

:blink::biggrin:

HERE'S my dessert inspired by a bar of hotel soap.  Damn was that good smelling soap!

That looks great!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I have an almond scrub that always puts me in the mood for marzipan.  Most of the soap I buy comes from Etsy, it's all hand done, and the scents are amazing.  Beer soap,  this one called chocolate delight (which looks EXACTLY like a chunk of fudge sitting in my shower), all manner of citrus and herbs.  Oh, it's crazy.  A lot of time, I'll get cravings based on my products.  Don't even get me started on candle scents.

care to share the Etsy shop?