• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mistakes in the Chocolate/Candy Lab

Anna N

Wow! :wacko: That's three people with tooth injuries on candy. It might be interesting to see just how many folks have broken/damaged teeth on this list. :blink: Only kidding.

I never thought of it as a work related accident, but I am sure our insurance covers only fire and theft. I'll just have to check. At least we can deduct it on the health part of our income taxes. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Erm... I'm going in for a crown this Friday after a huge chunk of one of my molars fell off a couple weeks ago (I've got a temp filling right now). I'm in total denial about it being candy-related. I'm pretty sure it's because of those crunchy vegetables. :raz:

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Erm... I'm going in for a crown this Friday after a huge chunk of one of my molars fell off a couple weeks ago (I've got a temp filling right now). I'm in total denial about it being candy-related. I'm pretty sure it's because of those crunchy vegetables.  :raz:

FOUR.... :sad:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Erm... I'm going in for a crown this Friday after a huge chunk of one of my molars fell off a couple weeks ago (I've got a temp filling right now). I'm in total denial about it being candy-related. I'm pretty sure it's because of those crunchy vegetables.  :raz:

FOUR.... :sad:

This will be my second crown. And I'm pretty sure I have more fillings than teeth at this point.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Forgetting to put an apron on, leaning over my chocovisionx3210 to seeif I need to add more seed and getting a nice brown curvy line on my shirt, just where the underwires are...

FOrgetting about it and walking around the local minimarket getting funny smiles and wondering why everyone is happy!!

It felt like when you have a poppy seed stuck between two teeth all day, only to discover it at night when brushing!!!

The other day I had something similar happen to me! I went into the store to help a customer who was kind to point out I had a lovely smear of white chocolate on my forehead!

Thank goodness for the regular customers who care enough to say something! Of course I am pretty sure the two fellas I served before this kind customer didn't say anything at all so what did they think?

Oh well, it could have been worse! :raz:

• 1 month later...

While it's been over a month since anyone posted here, I just saw this and (ashamedly) will add my own.

I was making a large batch of Almond Toffee by myself without my helpers (1st mistake). I dumped the batch out onto the oiled marble slab, put my kettle back on my stove and began to spread this wonderful conglomeration of butter and sugar to it's proper thickness.

Using my offset spatula I carefully began to move the liquid sugar into the corners and was momentarily distracted while my right hand was moving left to right and I ended up dragging three of my fingers through the 300+ degree of liquid sugar.

The batch never got finished, and I ended up wearing gauze badages for the better part of a month or so while my hand healed.

Luckily no scarring...

But - that's my sad tale of woe for the day...

While it's been over a month since anyone posted here, I just saw this and (ashamedly) will add my own.

I was making a large batch of Almond Toffee by myself without my helpers (1st mistake).  I dumped the batch out onto the oiled marble slab, put my kettle back on my stove and began to spread this wonderful conglomeration of butter and sugar to it's proper thickness. 

Using my offset spatula I carefully began to move the liquid sugar into the corners and was momentarily distracted while my right hand was moving left to right and I ended up dragging three of my fingers through the 300+ degree of liquid sugar.

The batch never got finished, and I ended up wearing gauze badages for the better part of a month or so while my hand healed. 

Luckily no scarring...

Ouch - that's one of my biggest fears working with sugar. I bought some sugar gloves at www.dr.ca and they look like a pair of playtex gloves only more professional looking. I haven't experimented with putting my hand in hot sugar yet! Anyone have experience with sugar gloves?

I was making a large batch of Almond Toffee by myself without my helpers (1st mistake).  I dumped the batch out onto the oiled marble slab, put my kettle back on my stove and began to spread this wonderful conglomeration of butter and sugar to it's proper thickness. 

Luckily no scarring...

Nothing is worse than a sugar burn. So glad you are healed. :smile: I dropped a tiny bit of hot syrup on my hand...a tiny bit...and raced for the cold water tap like a comet in full flight.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks, but I'm all healed now and back to "normal" (as if anyone who works with molten sugar and chocolate is normal...)

Best part of the story is, I went to my Dermatologist (same guy I've been going to for 30 years). I wanted a professionals opinion of the potential damage I was sure to suffer.

He unwrapped my fingers, took one look at it and said "Eh - you'll be fine..."

Oh - and that'll be $20.00 for the office visit...

Meanwhile...back in the world of reality....